X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing the threaded studs for the extensions in R4511

I am at the point of installing the extensions on the R4511. I have already spent quite a bit of time aligning the blade with the miter saw at both the 90 and 45 deg blade position. So, I am pretty close to being done.

The six pieces of the 2" threaded studs that are installed on the side of the main table are partially covered with blue paint. I think it is meant to indicate how far the stud should be screwed in the main table.

The problem is I cant screw the stud in because of the paint. The nut that is supposed to go on the stud can't get past the paint portion either. A little over 1/4 inch of the screw has this blue patch.

I am not sure trying to force it in would be such a good idea. I can try to peel off the paint with a knife blade, but that is a tedious task. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just read the user manual and it said to use a 4 mm hex key.... i will try that now.... I guess I shouldn't ignore the user manual.
    Last edited by sh2005; 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM.

Re: Installing the threaded studs for the extensions in R4511

I would say the "blue paint" is actually some type of thread locker like "loc tite", to keep the studs or bolts from coming loose in the future.

If all else fails read the instructions.

G3

Comment

Yes, use the hex wrench. And the "paint" is loctite.

Comment

Originally posted by sh2005 View Post
        I am at the point of installing the extensions on the R4511. I have already spent quite a bit of time aligning the blade with the miter saw at both the 90 and 45 deg blade position. So, I am pretty close to being done.

The six pieces of the 2" threaded studs that are installed on the side of the main table are partially covered with blue paint. I think it is meant to indicate how far the stud should be screwed in the main table.

The problem is I cant screw the stud in because of the paint. The nut that is supposed to go on the stud can't get past the paint portion either. A little over 1/4 inch of the screw has this blue patch.

I am not sure trying to force it in would be such a good idea. I can try to peel off the paint with a knife blade, but that is a tedious task. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just read the user manual and it said to use a 4 mm hex key.... i will try that now.... I guess I shouldn't ignore the user manual.
        Yeah you want to consult the manual on this one. If I remember correctly from my assemblies of this saw that loctite is applied about as far in as the threads screw in. I think they only screw in about 3/8 of an inch, because the the rest has to go thru the extension wing and into the pocket where the nut and washer hold it to the main table.

Comment

With the hex key, it went smoothly. The manual instructed to leave about 1-3/8" hanging off the main table, most of mine came to 1-1/2", but I guess that won't be a problem. Isn't Loc-tite supposed to be applied in liquid form, right before putting the screw in so that it can harden inside?

Comment

There are many types of thread locking compounds. This type is painted on at the factory to ease your installation. What you would buy and apply yourself usually will come in either a paste or liquid form.

Comment

Working...
            X