Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cases for my tools

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
    In the 2nd video I posted the guy uses thin strips of ebony for the inlay. Where do I find something like that at? I asked for it at the local hd and they looked at me like I was stupid. Which they r probably right.
    You're going to need to find a hardwood dealer for anything other then the basics. Most big-box stores only sell pine, oak, maple and poplar (at least those are what you find here in Canada... I'm assume it's the same elsewhere). I've got one here that also stocks Mahogany, but for everything else I go to a hardwood dealer (and, actually, they have better stock of big box varieties as well)

--Jeff

Comment

I finally got started on my box project last night. It took me a little bit making an adapter plate for my Ridgid Router and my Craftsman table. But it worked out ok with the advice from you guys. I took a scrape piece of birch plywood. Mounted that to the router. Then mounted the wood too the table.

Orginally I was going to make a box for my worm gear saw however I changed my mind and thought i would start off with a little bit easier of a box. I am making a box for my 12v drill, impact, flashlight, and charger. The case is going to be 12x12x12. Sorta like the makita 10.8 case. A buddy of mines bday is coming up next month and he owns the same tool set. So I am making two boxs. The 1st one with all the mistakes is his and the 2nd one is mine. HA!

Last night I got two 4' x 12" strips of wood cut and got 2 cuts in the wood with the router for the bottom and top. I don't know if I will have time to work on it 2night but my next step is to route a 3rd strip about 4" from the top for the lip to seperate. Then cut it in section and glue and brad it together.

Quick question is it acceptable to use a hot glue gun for the joints instead of wood glue?

Comment

Don't use hot glue. Use wood glue and clamps, it will be much much stronger.

Edit: If you can't use wood glue, then use screws.

Comment

wood glue it is. i'll stop and buy some after work. I c they make hot wood glue sticks. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

I would not touch the stuff. I would use titebond 3, that way the case will not fall apart if you forget it in the back of a pickup in the rain

Comment

Working...
            X