X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freaky router table incident

Just a warning to everyone; remember to re-check your removeable router base's locking mechanism periodically!

I have a router in a removable plunge base installed in my router table. Last night I was routing some circles when my straight bit dropped down through the table!

I immediately removed the power cable directly out from the wall and examined my cabinet; the router had actually falled straight out from the plunge base! The quick-release level must have worked its way loose, causing the router to fall a good 2.5ft to the ground. Thankfully, a raised wooden floor somewhat cushioned the fall (otherwise it would've landed on concrete) and the router is okay.

As an extra safety mechanism (I never did like the idea of a quick-release on a router...) I'm going to install a big hose clamp around the release mechanism to ensure this never happens again.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Re: Freaky router table incident

I bet that got your attention!

Thanks, that's certainly something to double check. I use my fixed base in the table, although I understand there's some advantages to using the plunge base. I see they use the plunge base on "The Router Workshop" too.

You're luck the motor didn't bounce or run toward you, that would have clipped your toe nails in fine fashion I suspect.

Glad you are safe and there's no apparent damage.

CWS

Comment

I never thought of that being an issue. I use my router about 2-4 hrs a week and I might just use the same precautions. Thanks for info!

Dan

Comment

That same thing happened to me a few years ago but the spinning router actually bounced out at me. I invented a brand new dance that day but have not been able to duplicate those moves since then. Luckily I wasn't hurt but I learned a good lesson that day, I never turn on the router now without checking to make sure it's secured.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
        X