X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staining Birch

I am nearly finished with my first huge project. Done is the case work including upper and base cabinets to the left of my fireplace and one large base and two small uppers to the right. Still under construction is my fireplace mantel , a bridge to connect the uppers at the ceiling and crown molding. My desire is to conceal, as best I can, the blotchiness of the Birch. My work is poly on General Finishes Candlelight. Can I apply a tinted wax or is my only option a tinted poly? The pictures exaggerate my complaint. Thank You
    Attached Files

Re: Staining Birch

If you are talking about trying to cover the already finished cabinets to tone down the blotchiness, there is not a lot you can do that won't cover up or muddy up the grain. Spraying a toned clear finish might help somewhat. I would not change your finishing schedule on the rest of the components, as this will really show in comparison to the already finished cabs.

Birch is a blotchy wood. Knowing this, you can use a wood conditioner or sealer before you stain, then follow up with a gel based stain. These don't tend to soak into the wood like a thin bodied stain will.

From the pics, your project looks very nice. I don't know that I would worry about it too much. Finish it up, invite some friends and family over, and have a party. If anyone says anything, show them where the door is.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
      From the pics, your project looks very nice. I don't know that I would worry about it too much.
      I concur! They look delicious; I'm envious.

Well done!

--Jeff

Comment

i doubt anyone other then serious woodworkers would notice the so called blotchiness. i think they look great

Comment

Working...
        X