X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reconditioned 3650

I found a factory recond 3650 ts for $350. Anybody have any experience with factory recon equipment. That seems like a good price.

[ 08-19-2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: k9smith ]

In the past, I've purchased factory recon. tools and couldn't tell the difference between them and new ones. YRMV.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have nothing against factory recon products and that’s a great price. I do have a few questions/comments that you might want to consider. First, is it really a factory reconditioned item? If it is on the floor of your local Home Depot, it may be a returned item sent to a local equipment repair place. I’m not saying that means it’s inferior, just not a true factory reconditioned product. That of course leads to the “who carries the warranty” question.
      So why is it returned? It could be that it was actually defective, was repaired and is now good to go. It also could be that someone thought a nice table saw would be a cool thing to own until they got it home, assembled it and realized that it isn’t the toy they thought it would be… They bring it back and say it is defective (to avoid any returns hassle). In this case the saw is probably as good as new and was sent out for repair without need. However, it may not be assembled correctly (and this probably would not have been examined at the repair shop). If you purchase the saw, please go through each step of the manual and ensure yourself it is assembled correctly. It is also possible that it was purchased, used and returned (owner didn’t like it or no longer needed it). Essentially the same case as above, but with someone more qualified to assemble the saw.
      I hope you find this helpful, or at least enlightening. You can ask the sales associate where it came from, but they probably won’t know. Nothing against the Home Depot associates, it just isn’t something they would have an ability to know. You should be able to find out (1) who repaired it, (2) what repairs were done and, (3) who is carrying the warranty (the repair shop or Ridgid).

I hope it hasn’t sold yet because that is a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20:
        ... First, is it really a factory reconditioned item? If it is on the floor of your local Home Depot, it may be a returned item sent to a local equipment repair place. I’m not saying that means it’s inferior, just not a true factory reconditioned product.
        That makes me wonder where Ridgid and other mfgs. send their tools to for factory reconditioning. I can't believe they send them all the way back to the factories in China, Taiwan or Europe. Where do Ridgid, DeWalt, Delta and others actually "factory recondition" all those tools?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Knock on wood....so far all my experiences with recons have been favorable....PC nailer and Milwaukee router. The depreciation of a new machine has already been taken for the most part, so as long as it's returnable if not functioning properly and has a warranty, you've got little to lose. If it works fine it's probably worth nearly $350 used.

Comment

Dave-
            Typically Recon items go to factory authorized service centers. If a service center works on your tool the warranty remains valid. I have the good fortune of having Ridgid authorized service centers in my town. You don’t in Madison, WI (but Milwaukee has one and I think that’s close to Madison). The potential problem, and I’m pretty sure I’m right about this, is that each Home Depot market, say Portland, OR or North Los Angeles, uses a single local repair center for all of its returns (be it lawnmowers or compressors). I’m not sure that each of them are authorized service centers for Ridgid power tools.
            I’m not trying to be an alarmist here. Mostly I want to make sure that K9Smith really follows all of the assembly instructions even thought the table saw is put together and ensures him/her self where the warranty work happens.

Comment

The box says that it carries a one year factory warranty from Ridgid. This is not at Home Depot it is at my local Cummins tool store. They seem to specialize in recons. So I cantget much help from them. I thought for the price it was worth the risk. It is in a box and apperas to wrapped nicley. However it is not the box you see at Home Depot. The wings are covered withpaper just like the wings at Home Depot.Thanks for the replys, Joe

[ 08-19-2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: k9smith ]

Comment

Get the serial number from the saw and call Rigid direct and see what they have to say about it. They should know or be able to find out if that particular TS went through their reconditioning program and wether it qualifies for the reconditioned tool warranty.

Comment

Bob I contacted Ridgid and they said they dont or cant track the serial numbers to see if the saw has been thru their program. How ever they said that Cummins is the store that they partner with for their recons.

Comment

Just a follow up to my earlier post. I called Ridgid and they said that Cummins was one of their recon sales outlets. Ridgid carries the warranty. So I bought one of the 5 that they had in a box. This is what I found. I told the manager at Cummins that I would be bringing back anything that I found wrong out of the box. He said well why don’t we open them up and make sure the one you get is ok. The first one I opened had a big gouge in the front rail that I wasn’t willing to take a risk on. The second box had a big gouge in the main tabletop. So I took the rails from that one and put it with the first box. The first box still had what looked like the original paper and wrapping on the top as well as the packing grease or oil. The only other thing I could find wrong was a small scratch on the back of the saw about the size of a pencil. I couldn’t find any dirt anywhere on this saw. It looks as if it has never been used. I took it home and began the assemble process. The blister packs were still sealed except for the key to the switch. I guess they made sure it was ok as the key was in the switch. As I began cleaning the top I noticed that one of the wings had what looked like a casting point on the tabletop. Not sure if that’s the right term or not. Nonetheless off it came and back to Cummins it went. As soon as I walked in the door the manager saw me and came of to find out what was wrong. I showed him so back we went until I found a wing that was still in the original wrapping. A brief inspection and home it went. I looked at the arbor and believe I have the bad arbor or the one that has the problem with the dado blade. So I will take care of that. So far just under $400 I am as of right now happy with my purchase. Nothing was missing after I completed assembly. Thanks for all the info on this board, Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X