X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing or no wing with router table

OK, I've seen a few posts about router tables added to the table saw. I'm just wondering what everything thinks about replacing the wing with the router table or just adding the router table to the existing wing. I'm adding on because I have room and liked the extra table top area. What are everyone's thoughts?
    - Tim

I haven't done either but if forced to choose, I'd go the add-on route. By removing the CI wing you would be reducing the overall weight of the saw which could possibly contribute to a vibration problem. I would think that solidly securing the router table to the TS would be one of the most important aspects of adding a router table to any TS.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The new wing probably needs to be supported. And if you have the hercu lift casters it may be off balance when you try to roll it around. Just some thoughts.

Comment

I say add-on. I have the TS3650, installed a router table from mulecab, in addition to the tablesaw wing, and it fit perfectly. The only enhancement I might suggest is to add extra support under the router table, just in case the weight of the router may be enough to eventually cause the rails to bend.

Comment

I have the TS3650 and added the Mulecab router table extension to it. I have not had a problem with balance even with my PC690 router mounted in it. I did add some support braces to mitigate the chance of bending the TS rails.

Comment

Apparently, it will work either way. I have a 3612 on which I removed the right wing. Have had no vibration problems or ,as a matter of fact, have experienced no problems with anything.

Comment

I'd personally leave the wing on---which I did when I had my router in the ts extension. If you find balance is a problem, a nifty idea is to install a small storage unit on the left side. It's a great spot to store accessories. Measure to match the left side of the saw base (before the legs attach) and use machine screws and fender washers through the sheet metal----use some pieces of metal strapping to "hang" the left side from any existing holes in the outside edge of the left wing or drill two of your own---it works great.
              Dave

Comment

Bob D,
                I looked at your pics (per my other post on a newer thread) and see that your support rails look the same on both the outfeed table and the router extension table. Can you tell me what they are and how they're fastened/welded to the TS?

Thanks.
                Skip

Originally posted by imported_Bob D.
                I have the TS3650 and added the Mulecab router table extension to it. I have not had a problem with balance even with my PC690 router mounted in it. I did add some support braces to mitigate the chance of bending the TS rails.
                Stay well and play well.
                Skip

Comment

Take a look at the 3650 Outfeed Table thread where I have answered this a couple times, there are some photos there too.
                  http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7542
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks Bob. I'm sure it gets old being asked the same questions over and over. I'm headed to your link now...
                    Stay well and play well.
                    Skip

Comment

Mulecab table?

Hi guys, I saw that a few of you said you bought a mulecab table to add on to the 3650. Which one did you get (I am assuming it's the Mule Router Pro 27, since the 3650 table is 27" deep).

Thanks!
                      -Chris

Comment

That's correct, the 27 incher is the one you want for the TS-3650.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by skipsax
                          Thanks Bob. I'm sure it gets old being asked the same questions over and over. I'm headed to your link now...
                          It doesn't bother me that you asked, I just pointed you to the other thread to save writing it out again.
                          ---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

Okay, So I am a new guy. In fact, this is my first post. But why does the router table have to go on the right side. I was wanting to put the Bench Dog ProMax on the left hand side. Attatched to the existing extention.
                            I don't know why this is such a big deall to me, as I haven't even bought a table saw yet, But does anyone have any idea why I should NOT do this?
                            Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Steve

Comment

Well, first off, welcome to the Ridgid Forum.

On your router table question, placing a cast iron router table along side the existing cast iron table saw wing would be some significant weight hanging out there with no support. The table saw fence rails do not extend out to the left so no help there. You'd have to build some support legs which is certainly doable. If you like working from the right side of the blade this setup might work out. For me, being left-handed, I find it much easier to use the miter gage in the left slot and most times when crosscutting the majority of my material is to the left of the blade. When ripping I place the off-cut to the left of the blade for most setups, so my workpiece and fence are to the right of the blade. Is that how others use their saw or not?
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X