Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the R4516 support the DD208 Diablo 8" dado blade?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the R4516 support the DD208 Diablo 8" dado blade?

The sales guy at HD said the DD208 Diablo 8" dado blade works on my R4516 10" saw so I picked it up.

But when I got home, I was a bit worried.

Here is the dado blade:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Anyone try this? The only reason I picked it up was because I could never find a 10" dado blade anywhere..

Thanks in advance.

edit: by the way, the thing comes with no instructions
    Last edited by strum; 09-24-2009, 08:54 PM.

Re: Does the R4516 support the DD208 Diablo 8" dado blade?

I think you meant an 8" dado blade and not 10". It will work fine on your saw. You won't have room on the end of the arbor for the washer if you use the full stack (13/16"), but it is perfectly fine to just run the nut against the outer blade.

I just picked up the Freud SD-208 Pro dado from Lowes for a little less than the Diablo, and it has a complete shim and spacer kit, and great instructions. Might be worth checking this out.
    Last edited by 3rdtime; 09-24-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks 3rdtime.

Yeah the dado blade is 8" but my saw is the 10".

I've never installed a dado blade before so from reading instructions on the net, this is how I think I need to install it.

Dado Blade/spacer/chipper/spacer/chipper/spacer/Dado blade.

Does that look right?

Comment

I think there should have been a set of instructions with your dado set. Probably someone decided they needed another set along the way, and took the ones out of your package.

To answer your question, yes, you always want to place any spacers/shims you use evenly as possible between the blades/chippers. This helps to insure that you don't end up with a space between cutters that doesn't remove wood. If using more than one chipper, you should rotate them so that every cutter is rotated 90* from each other. If you aren't using any spacers/shims, you have to make sure the carbide tip of blades/chippers sit in between each other for proper stack up. That's why the tips are so wide, so they can overlap.

This should help you out: http://www.freudtools.com/images/man...pper-Chart.pdf The DD208 is the same set as the SD208. Only diff is the DD set is coated.

Now, having said all the above, I did not realize you were talking about a jobsite saw. I looked at the R45.. and thought you were talking about the R4511, and had made a typo. I am not sure you can get the full stack on the R4516 arbor. Plus, you would need to make special throat plates. Perhaps someone else on here has experience with this saw/dado combo, and will help out. Sorry for any confusion.
        Last edited by 3rdtime; 09-25-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I'm not that familiar with this saw but most saws like it only have the capability of cutting a maximum ½" wide dado. The arbor is usually just too short for anything wider or there is something under the table top that could come into play when cutting a wider dado.

As far as assembly instructions go, you pretty much were spot on with your assessment. If you wanted you could put two spacers together as it's usually not necessary to space them that far apart. I might add that special care should be taken to ensure that the teeth on both the outer blades and the chippers are staggered so that none ever touch each other.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave and 3rdtime.

I'm going to try it out. I'll start with two blades and test it out and make sure it works and add more as needed..

Comment

There should be a section in your Owners Manual that deals with cutting dados.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Well I put on the blades and tried it out. Man talk about scarry. You pretty much have to take off every guard and when you put in just two blades and a chipper, you barely have enough space to put the nut back on. 1/2 inch is the max on R416.

I am not comfortable with doing that again at least with this saw. (maybe I might do 1/4")

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Comment

If I recall either Freud or Ridgid gives a min amount that the arbor nut can go on to be safe. I really sounds like that when you put the middle cutter in that you don't have the nut on far enough. My old craftsman was like that and I could only do 1/2" dado cuts.

Charles
                  Charles

Comment

This is one item that made me really nervous. The yellow lock device had to be raised because the dado blade hit it, as you can see it just has enough space for one blade. Even when I only tried two blades with no chipper the edge of the outside blade hit that yellow lock. So I raised that lock up which loosened the metal guard and when you turn on the saw, that thing rattles like crazy and you think it's going to fly out and hit you in the face. And I couldn't find any way to remove it.

Of course you can't put the metal plate that sits on the table back with dado blades installed either so wood chips were flying everywhere including my face and chest. (thank goodness for safty glasses and two layers of t-shirts )

Comment

On the R4511 saws, the riving knife is held in by a spring loaded plunger that is part of the lock lever. You might try pulling out on the yellow lever when it is loose, to see if that works to release the knife.

As far as the throat plate goes, I'm not sure if anyone sells a dado style plate for your saw, or if there is any way to make one (or a few) to fit.

Comment

it calls for using a 6 inch but I have an 8 inch in mine and it works fine. The throat prevents you from opening it up higher then 1.2 inches due to it being 8 inch and not 6 inch. You can cut the throat bigger also to fix that problem.

Comment

koufax - Do you have the RIDGID dado throat plate 089037006914? Does it allow for a 3/4" dado?

Comment

Working...
                          X