X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit with a jointer

How do you cut a rabbit using a ridgid jointer?

I'M ASSUMING YOU ARE USING THE JP0610. CHECK PAGE 31 OF THE OWNERS MANUAL. WHAT THE MANUAL DOESN'T MENTION IS THAT THE FENCE IS SLID OVER THE INFEED AND OUTFEED TABLES TOWARDS THE OUTSIDE EDGE OF THE TABLES TO GET THE WIDTH OF THE RABBET. BY LOWERING THE INFEED TABLE IN 1/8" INCREMENTS, THE DEPTH OF THE RABBET IS ACHIEVED GRADUALLY. IF MOBILITY IS AN ISSUE FOR YOU, THE GENERAL INTERNATIONAL MODEL 50-025 MOBIL BASE IS EXCELLENT FOR THE JOINTER AND QUITE REASONABLY PRICED
    IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

Do you have to remove the blade guard? I am not sure where the part of the board that does not receive the rabbit passes?

Comment

I just happened to be out adjusting mine this morning and already had the blade guard off, so that question I can't answer. While I was playing, I decided to try it. I've always grabbed the router, or used the TS, but not any more! That's slick! You just slide the fence over until you get the width you want, and then make multiple passes, dropping the infeed table after each pass until you get the depth you want, up to 3/8", I thnk. Clean and crsip rabbet when you're done. I'll be using that puppy a LOT more in the future.

Comment

NewfGuy

I have experimented with that feature in the past and you are correct, it does produce a clean rabbit. I noticed on your other post that you mentioned you are probably in need of a new set of blades; here is a link to a good price on replacement blades as long as you are not in a hurry. I ordered some almost three weeks ago, I received the rest of the order in three days and the blades have yet to ship, seems to be typical of Amazon lately.

Woodslayer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance

Comment

FWIW---of the available methods to make a rabit, I personally think the jointer is the least desireable. a) you have to remove the guard b) you have to take multiple passes and c) the jointer fence doesn't provide much stability for large pieces.
            Dave

Comment

Tablesaw or Router are easy, why fool with a harder way?
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

JACKFORD.. THE PART THAT IS NOT RABBETTED STAYS ON THE INFEED AND OUTFEED PORTIONS OF THE JOINTER TABLES. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE BLADE GUARD TO CUT RABBETS ON THE JOINTER.
                IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

Thanks Woodslayer. I took them off Friday and sharpened them and they're a LOT better. I had been afraid to take them out to sharpen for fear of not getting them set right again. That turned out to be false. It only took about 10 minutes to put them back in.

Comment

Working...
                  X