X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldham viper router bits

Are they worth the money? Dang, they're expensive, but there's not much choice at HD.

If not, suggestions for moderately priced, quality bits?

Thanks
    Dan

[ 01-03-2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: danvines ]

I have baught 1 Viper bit in the past and was pleased with it however since finding a few online dealers I prefer to use them due to price and quality of the bit.
    I like to use several brands, these are just a few. Hope it helps

1) Jesada www.jesada.com
    2) Eagle router bits www.eagle-america.com
    3) Price cutters www.pricecutter.com
    4) Mlcs www.mlcswoodworking.com
    5) Carbide www.carbide.com

Scott
    NO NO NO- I engineered it to look like that!! Crooked-HA!

Comment

I'm not going to get in a big arguement---buy what you want, but-----I consider Vipers darned near a minimum of the quality I'd buy---expensive is all relative, but if you go to woodworking shows, you can sometimes score a deal on Vipers. I also buy and am very happy with Whiteside bits---also, you can find deals on these as well.

Simply because I like nice cuts and don't want the bit to bend or fall apart during a cut, I try to say away from the junk/cheapo bits---I started out with Sears bits, so I know how cheap stuff treats you.
      Dave

Comment

I agree with Dave. The Vipers are decent bits but there are better out there. Avoid the cheaps ones. I guss the best advice is to buy the best you can afford taking into consideration your budget. DAve

Comment

danvines,
          I was in your same shoes a little over a year ago getting started with woodworking and try to tool up with in my budget. While they are not the top of the line, and there not the bottom of the line either. I bought the MLCS 30 piece 1/2" shank bit set for $99.00 and have had no trouble at all... Now I will tell you that as I replace them I will buy better bits, but they got me started and are working fine to this day under weekly use... Here is a link to the sets: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...routerbit.html

What shank size shank are you looking for?

[ 01-04-2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Big Johnson ]
          Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

The best way to minimize your $$ output is to buy good quality bits as you need them. I also bought a $100 kit awhile back and the bottom line is that the bits I've used out of the kit I probably could have purchased seperately for $50. The rest just sit there collecting dust. I'd also recommend using 1/2" shank bits whenever possible. They won't flex on you like 1/4" shafts may. However, use 1/4" shafts when the cutting head is small such as a 1/4" straight bit. My manufacturer of choice is Whiteside. The last time I bought bits I found the best prices at www.librawood.com
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger Dave is oh so correct. Sets are pretty much a waste of money, unless it is something like a raised panel set. You will use a few, and the rest will sit and collect dust.

My bit collection consists of Rockler, Whiteside, CMT, and Woodcraft. I may pay a little more, but I buy the bits locally because if I have a problem, I can exchange it same day instead of waiting for someone to accept return, send new one...so on.

Comment

Badger Dave is oh, so correct. I do have to laugh though----30 bits for $100 (little over $3/bit) is pretty darned cheap and of doubtful quality. While it doesn't happen too often, thank goodness, occassionally you do read post about guys bits breaking while in use----two solutions---don't buy cheap bits and buy 1/2" shanks, at least on cutter diameters above 1/4".

As to sets, however, there are always exceptions. If you can find sets of straight cutters or round-overs, in a good quality, they would be well worth the investment---otherwise, I buy them as I need them or buy the bit of the month, from Woodcraft.
                Dave

Comment

Danvines

In my opinion for what ever it worth, it depends on the specific task you wish to accomplish. If you are new to world of routing and wish to experiment with the all the possibilities available in shaping wood you can’t go wrong with one of the sets like the 30 bit MLCS set. If you tryout a bit and don’t like the results you’ve only wasted $3 on that bit. You can purchase just a few Viper or Freud bits and surpass the cost of the 30-bit set. By all means though if you plan on utilizing a bit on a repetitive basis don’t skimp, have you ever regretted purchasing a quality tool.

Comment

daveferg,
                    Do you own a 30pc. set of MLCS bits for $99.00 to base your laughable judgment on??? Or are you assuming they are of very poor quality?
                    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Big Johnson---don't mean to offend, but sorry---$3.00 per bit is hardly a realistic endorsement for quality, when the name-brand bits go for more like $15-60/bit. Sorry--but when I'm spinning something at thousands of rpm, I want to be reasonably sure it isn't going to fly apart. The real test of those bits will be how long they stay sharp or have other safety issues--we hope not.
                      Dave

Comment

Maybe the cheap bit set isn't a bad way to go. I started with a 12 bit set for $70 when I started making furniture.

The small starter set didn't have a bit I needed, so now I have a $25 bit that has cut about 10 linear feet, and I don't know when I will use it again. But I have a great Whiteside bit sitting on the shelf.

I have replaced two of the more heavily used bits from the starter set with higher quality (sharper) bits - and have no regret paying for the cheaper starter bits to learn which ones I would need.

The individual bits from HD seem relatively expensive for the apparent quality. Woodcraft sells a name brand (Whiteside) as well as a cheaper store brand; their store brand is far cheaper than HD and seems to be pretty good.

Comment

Danvines

Try this link; it’s a review of 17 brands of Router Bits conducted by Fine Woodworking Magazine.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00045.asp

Comment

Woodslayer,
                            Thanks for sharing the link to the article... I would like to show one interesting paragraph that impressed me...

"The relationship between quality and country of origin is good news for the national pride: The Oldham, Whiteside and Liberty bits, which performed well, are made in the United States. But you can also find good bits imported from Italy (CMT and Freud) and Israel (Amana). Most of the Taiwanese bits (Carb-Tech, Grizzly S-Y, Rockler, Woodline, Woodtek, Woodworker's Choice) didn't perform as well. One exception was the MLCS bit, which did well."

Comment

Experience shows me one thing, Cheep bits break. I've broken more than my fair share. I would consider Vipers closer to the low end of things.
                              Looking at reviews, MLCS has been highly reviewed.
                              www.mlcs.com has some good deals right now on some awesome sets in both 1/4" and 1/2" sets. There are some others that have some good deals as well, but I have not tried any of those bits.
                              While at MLCS, it's worth taking a look at the Router Collet Extension for 25 bones if you have a table with a lift system. Just take not that it doesn't work well at all with 1/4" bits, or fit in a 1/4" router collet.
                              If the wife will allow me to spend some diaper money I'm forking over some gold for one of those sets at MLCS.
                              BTW guys, her and Josh is expected to home tomarrow!
                              Can't wait to start spoiling that future woodworker!
                              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X