X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1500 Drill Press table

I bought the 1500 Drill Press and can't figure out why the table has the shape that it does. It is different from most other presses I have seen. Does anyone know the why of the design. I see the new DP1550 is not the same.

The table on the 1500 is a machinist's type. The table on the 1550 is more along the lines of woodworkers. That's about all I can tell you about the design.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I too recently bought a DP1500. I plan to either build an auxillary table for it or buy one (Rockler sells one and Fastrack makes one that is available through some catalogs). Unfortunately, the two commerical tables and fence systems run slightly over $100. There is a plan for one at Popular Woodworking 's web site and I will try it or a modified version before I purchase one.

By the way, is the 1550 a new model? I got my 1500 at a discounted price ($211) about two weeks ago and was told a new model was coming out, but the primary difference was that it was orange, which sounded like there was really no difference.

Comment

The 1500 was stopped in production almost 2 years ago. The 1550 replaced it. The new 1550 is equiped with orange parts, identifing it as being manufactured after Ridgid contracted manufacturing rights to others.

The 1500 does not have a TEFC motor on it, and some other smaller features that the 1550 has on it. I could have purchased the 1500 for 179, but chose to pay 297 for the 1550 because of 2 reasons. The motor, and the table.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Woody,
          I went home last night and checked my model number. It is a 1550, not the 1500. I figured that the new orange version must have a different model number and thought that was what you were referring to in your first response. My 1550 was a display model that had been marked down from either 297 or 279 to 249 and then to 211. It had "slow moving" checked as to why it was marked down, but the guy at HD told me the orange ones should be in stock soon. I haven't used it yet(other than turning it on), but compared to other similar models, it seemed like a good deal.

Comment

Yes, very good deal. I bought a can of spray silicone and sprayed the heck out of the column and moving parts associated with the table. I even ran the quill all the way down and locked it and sprayed that. Most people will tell you not to use silicone, and wouldn't on any parts that wood will touch.

Comment

Thanks for that information. I was planning to ask the folks at HD about maintance. I've never owned a drill press. Ridgid is sending me a copy of the manual (display's copy was lost) and the yellow safety switch, although the one to my spindle/belt sander works.

Comment

Working...
              X