R4511 vs Delta 36-717

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 vs Delta 36-717

I also used a 6' straight edge to aid me in aligning the two sections. More directly to the issue of the problems I experienced with this fence see my ealier post:

woodworkerwannabe

Re: R4511 Fence Alignment
    I also had problems with the two piece front rail creating precise and repeatable alignment impossible. The two sections of the rail itself was aligned perfectly, but when the joint was straddled with the fence and locked down, the pressure would cause one of the sections to move. The bottom of the rail would remain secured by the bolts but the top of the rails would actually shift out of alignment with one another. It took me many painstaking hours of multiple adjustments of the rails and fence before I discovered this problem. I finally created a mending plate that would secure the two sections but not interfere with operation of the fence. Because of what appeared to me to be a design flaw,I contacted Ridgid support through this website assuming that this problem was not unique to my saw. They informed me that that had not in fact received any complaints of this nature with the fence. I have not followed up any more. To be specific again, my problem would only appear when checking the fence to miter alignment with the fence straddling the rail joint. Alignment was fine all along the rail except when the fence lock down would compromise the stability of the joint. Before my repair it was possible to visually see the rail shift. Has anyone else noticed this? If not perhaps only a few of these two piece rails are too weak in the joint.

Comment

Re: R4511 vs Delta 36-717

After reading this forum and other online help I went to H.D. and had them load an r4511 box on my trailer. My wife and I struggled it down the ramp into my shop, and I spent 2 days unpacking and assembling. The info on this forum was really useful. However, after spending 4 hours clearing out a roll pin that was sheared off in the elevation mechanism, then finding that the motor wouldn't turn, I've had it. My hands are cut up from the sharp edges, greasy from the coatings; my back is sore from hoisting heavy parts around. I've told H.D. to come and get it. Evidently the trips from China to South Carolina, then to California, then up to Maine (all on the box labels) were pretty rough going.

Comment

Working...
      X