X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 vs Delta 36-717

I had a 3550 for years, built a lot of nice furniture etc, but wrestled with the same alignment and other issues that everyone else did, and found solutions just like everyone else did. A friend recently made me an offer to buy the 3550 that I had to take, so I am in the market for a new saw. It is either the R4511 or the Delta 36-717 hybrid. I recently put the Delta together for a local shop, and the biggest issue I had while doing it was not being able to find my metric wrenches & aligning the splitter bracket with the arbor bushing, and running low on beer. I remember putting the 3550 together, and now reading the post about recalls and post after post about how to put the 4511 together without problems, this worries me. Anyone who has put together a table saw, used a table saw for any decent length of time could put the Delta together pretty much without the manual. Do not get me wrong, the 3550 served me well and I love my orange tools, and I have most all of them. I just do not want issues. The money and the Bies fense aside, someone help convince me to bleed orange again
    Never use your thumb to check the sharpness of a spinning blade

Re: R4511 vs Delta 36-717

I found this forum after purchasing my R4511 so I did not have the benefit of all the assembly tips on here. Using the manual, exploded assembly diagrams, and common sense I had no problem having the saw assembled and adjusted in an afternoon. All the adjustments went easily, and I found no issues at all with my saw out of the box. The 2-peice fence is not as good as the 1-piece, but mine aligned with no problem and the fence glides over without a hiccup, and I have no need to upgrade it in the near future as it work great. I would recommend this saw to anyone. The LSA with RIDGID is top notch, and for the price point you could not find a better saw.

Comment

The guts of the R4511 are a better design than the Delta, but the R4511's fence is no Biesemeyer.

The Delta uses table mounted trunnions combined with the older style connecting rods as an arbor carriage. The R4511 has cabinet mounted trunnions and a one piece cast blade shroud as an arbor carriage...much more substantial design.

Vs:

Comment

Originally posted by hossyman View Post
        I had a 3550 for years, built a lot of nice furniture etc, but wrestled with the same alignment and other issues that everyone else did, and found solutions just like everyone else did. A friend recently made me an offer to buy the 3550 that I had to take, so I am in the market for a new saw. It is either the R4511 or the Delta 36-717 hybrid. I recently put the Delta together for a local shop, and the biggest issue I had while doing it was not being able to find my metric wrenches & aligning the splitter bracket with the arbor bushing, and running low on beer. I remember putting the 3550 together, and now reading the post about recalls and post after post about how to put the 4511 together without problems, this worries me. Anyone who has put together a table saw, used a table saw for any decent length of time could put the Delta together pretty much without the manual. Do not get me wrong, the 3550 served me well and I love my orange tools, and I have most all of them. I just do not want issues. The money and the Bies fense aside, someone help convince me to bleed orange again
        I bought the R4511 as an upgrade from a contractor style saw. Assembly was no big deal, and there are several good step by step blogs on here that will make it a snap.

Main selling points for me were:

Cabinet style for dust collection, and the cabinet mounted trunnion, which is a huge design upgrade!! Squaring the miter slots to the blade only requires loosening the 4 table top bolts and pivoting the top slightly to align. This was an excercise in frustration with my tabletop mounted trunnion on the old saw!!!

The saw is nice. The fence would not be as good as the Bies, but it is a nice fence nonetheless and once adjusted works fine and locks solid with no deflection. Needs some faces added to it, but thats inexpensive. More of a T2 type design.

The granite top has not been an issue for me, and that worried me at first coming from a cast top saw.

The only potential weakness with the granite is possilby chipping it with the T slot miter gauge. The workaround that really eliminates that is to take off the T slot foot from the miter gauge, and also insert and withdraw the miter gauge from the rear of the saw not the front. That way if you do choose to leave on the T slot foot it exits first when pushed to the rear of the saw and the miter can be lifted out.

It took me like two uses to develop this as a habit, and I find the granite to be tough, and I don't really baby it in any way. Way less maintenance on the granite.

Either saw would undoubtedly serve you well. Price point on the Ridgid is way better, than the Delta, but again the Bies probably pushes the Delta price up by 350, and so the two saws would be about even in price if the Bies was an option on the R4511. I got the R4511 on sale for $450 and so was a big saving for me as I had budgeted a grand for a new saw.

I think the recall issue on the R4511 arbor is over by now with everyone either getting the in home repair or in my case they delivered me a brand new saw and took away the old one.

Good luck with your decision, either one would be a nice addition.

If I was in your shoes the toss up would be getting the better trunnion design, which really eliminates alignment as an issue, or getting the top of the line Bies fence. An alternative might be the Steel City hybrid, which looks to be made just as the R4511, but looks to have an equal fence to the Bies.

Comment

Cato made some excellent points on the R4511. I would add that the granite tops on these saws (at least mine) are almost dead flat, and will stay that way. It was very easy to level the wings due to the leveling set screws on the wing supports. My table needed a little more tweaking (shimming) than some to get it coplaner with the blade at 45*, but once that's done, you're all set.

For the price of this saw and all the features, you could easily justify losing the factory fence and get a much better aftremarket system. It would still cost less than the Delta.

Besides, what other saws can you serve up wine and cheese from and not worry about the top getting damaged.

Comment

I ended up getting the Delta 36-717 Hybrid. I found it on sale locally at a Vendor day sale for 949.00. Was to good to pass up.

Comment

very nice looking saw. and i know the BIESEMEYER fence is superior to the 4511 fence. just curious, how did you address the difference in warranty/service agreements? my reading of the delta warranty looks like you are on your own after 5 years. once the ridgid is registered for the LSA, you are prettty much through paying for repairs. again, no challenge here, just interested in the thought process.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The place I bought the saw is an Delta authorized repair shop. It cost me 100.00 for basically the same LSA except there is no middle man. You are right about the fence, I never knew how much deflection I was getting. It is something that just happens when you compress 2 ends to tighten it up, it has a little flex. the Bies has none. when your board passes the blade, the wood just sits still when the cut is done

Comment

hossyman...so the total cost of the "lsa" equivalent delta hybrid saw that you purchased was $1049, plus tax?

acs_guitars..when you refer to the 2piece fence, are you actually referring to the front and/or rear rail(s)? my understanding of the 4511 is that the t square fence is one piece. or am imissing something here.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The R4511 does utilize a t-square type fence. The front rail for the fence is in two sections which can introduce alignment and consistent ripping problems. A one piece front rail would be a major improvement IMO.

Comment

I am talking about the 2-piece front rail... Alignment of the 2 pieces has been a pain for some.

Comment

Have you thought about maybe a very good condition used Delta Unisaw? If yes you would have a really serious table saw. Adding a great fence and miter gauge can come later as you save up the $$$ for them. I'm thinking that maybe you would like a 25 year investment type table saw this time. A good used USA made Powermatic 66 would be a great choice too.

Comment

You're a few days late getting to the party Woussko. If you read all the posts, the OP already bought the Delta saw.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
                            You're a few days late getting to the party Woussko. If you read all the posts, the OP already bought the Delta saw.
                            Thanks and it's time for me to go get a nice new alarm clock. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerwannabe View Post
                              The R4511 does utilize a t-square type fence. The front rail for the fence is in two sections which can introduce alignment and consistent ripping problems. A one piece front rail would be a major improvement IMO.
                              I agree with you! However I used a straight edge and adjusted the two rails to line up perfectly. Had to use a piece of paper under the right hand side. Once adjusted tho it's smooth and accurate. I ripped an 8' Red Oak plank on both sides and found it to be within .002 with my vernier caliper. Close enough for government work.
                              My Ryobi would stay adjusted for two cuts if you were lucky. The 4511 stay's adjusted!

Buck

Comment

Working...
                              X