Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked Dado Set Help please!

Hi all,
    Can someone help me with the installation of my Freud SD208 8" dado set?
    It seems my saws arbor is too small and I am not sure how to stack the chippers.
    Basically I want to be safe and there are no really good instruction on how to use this blade.
    Help if you can - thanks

Mick
    Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Try mounting the dado set without using the outer washer. It really isn't necessary when using a dado set.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Mick, Freud has never been real good about instructions. The outside blades---have a label "Place to the outside" or some such----Start on the arbor flange side and just place the writing to the flange side---obviously making sure the carbide tips face you as you stand at the operating position. The chippers should be installed so their carbid tips don't hit any teeth on the blade----stagger them by each time bisecting the circle---i.e. first two at 90 degrees--next two bisecting the 90 degree quadrents, etc. The outside blade, like the inside---has the writing facing out, with carbides towards the front--again making sure no teeth rub against the last chipper you installed. You can certainly operate it without the washer, but I'd at least make sure that the nut goes on far enough that end of the arbor is flush with the outside of the nut. I try to hold onto the stack when tightening---at least until the nut is snugged up, to prevent the stack from shifting.

Safety wise---take your time--you're taking out a lot of wood. For deep dados, it's better to take a couple of passes. Never have your hand over the top of the dado stack when pushing through the stock. And never plunge cut for blind dados----you're better off using a router for this kind of work.
      Dave

Comment

Dave (s), thanks for taking the time to really explain this to me!
        this should be posted on the Freud site for beginners.

Comment

Good advice Dave. For safety there should be one full thread of the arbor thru the blade nut. If not you need to take out a chipper until you get that and make more then one pass if necessary. Hope you have a dado insert. You never want to go without an insert in the saw. I perfer to use zero clearance inserts and let the dado cut thru it to the correct size for what I'm doing.

Comment

And Woodndust's 1 thread suggestion is even a better policy.

I would say that you'd have easier control with a somewhat thinner stack anyway---taking another pass isn't that much more work.

Mick--glad it helped. I had this arguement with a Freud rep a year or so ago. Apparently my points didn't get thru. I will say they at least included a size chart with my latest purchase---something that wasn't there on an earlier set I returned---that had poor performance. I do like the cut of the Super version much better.
            Dave

Comment

thanks guys, i cut a bunch of wood on the weekend and I did use a shop made zero clearance insert! on that topic, do you but the insert screw into the new shop made insert when you guys use them? I didn't and it seemed to work great, but is it safe?

Comment

Working...
              X