Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660 Rail problem I'm experiencing - need help. ty

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of good information on this site, and perhaps someone might have the answer to the problem I'm experiencing with my TS3660 top rail.

I've recently purchased the TS3660 and after getting everything put together, I had noticed that my mitre guage was hittting something at the top of the saw table. From what I saw is that the mitre gauge was hitting the top rail. It seems that the rail is sticking up above the saw table mitre slot. I've since tried to readjust the rail lower so the mitre guage can clear the rail without hitting it.

The drawback of that was that now my rip fence is touching the top right corner of the table extension.

I would like to ask - Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was your fix? If not, is this a defect on my table?

TIA
    Snap

Re: TS3660 Rail problem I'm experiencing - need help. ty

honestly I think you just haven't found the "sweet spot".

It took a time or two for me to get mine where I liked it and everything operated smooth.

Comment

Have you checked your table extensions and top with a 4' level or straightedge to see if everything is dead flat? Sometimes you have to place paper shims in the top (or bottom) part of the joint where the extensions bolt to the top to get it to bolt up flat.

You could also have your rail slightly low on the right side.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
        Have you checked your table extensions and top with a 4' level or straightedge to see if everything is dead flat? Sometimes you have to place paper shims in the top (or bottom) part of the joint where the extensions bolt to the top to get it to bolt up flat.

You could also have your rail slightly low on the right side.

I didnt check flatness yet with what you have recommended. I did however make sure the ends of the ententions matched that of the table. I got both extentions to butt up to the table as best I could and when I run my fingernail over the joints, they seem quite smooth.

Also, there was no gap between the table and the rails.

I'll go home tonight and take both rails off, and trying it again. I'm sure I took the time and effort the 1st time...I'll try to post a pic of the problem area tonight.

Thanks,
        Snap

Comment

You don't have to take the rails off to align and/or shim the extensions. Just loosen the bolts that attach the rails to the extensions. this way, you can slightly loosen the connector bolts to the top if you need to, to adjust the end heights of the extension(s).

You can have the smoothest joint in the world between the table top and wings, but if one or both of the edges is not perfectly 90* to the surface, your wing will not be flat with the top. I've used a single piece of paper as a shim before, and it's made a big difference. It doesn't take much to change the dimensional height 10" out.
          Last edited by 3rdtime; 10-08-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

if you need to shim the space between teh rail and the edge of the cast iron table or extensions, removal of the rail(s) is necessary in order to put the fine copper washers on the table bolts. then the rails are reinstalled with the bolt head in the rail and the washer(s) between the rail and the edge of the table/extension.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Couldn't take the pictures last night as I couldn't find the camera...I did however take off the rails, cleaned the edge and went through the mounting again. This time I didn't press too hard on the rail and was able to see a slight gap with one of the mounts on the table not the wings. I ended up putting a shim there.

As for the mitre guage clearing the rail, I was able to get the back rail just below the table, and this time without having the fence hitting the table. Although, now the fence is closer to the table, and the 8page measurement the manual speaks of does not work since the pages get stuck now. (but at least it clears the table)

Hope this is not an issue. I'll check flatness of table as soon as I get a winding stick from HD.

Snap

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I wish it had worked.
                Find a telemarketing service company |
                Telemarketing company for b2b and lead generation |
                Outbound telemarketing lists

Comment

Working...
                X