X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer Knives

I was at Sears today and saw some jointer knives. The 6" Ridgid and Craftsman jointer are both 6 1/8. Will the jointer knives for the Craftsman jointer fit the Ridgid?

Re: Jointer Knives

As long as the other two dimensions, depth and thickness, for the Craftsman's are the same as the Ridgid's then they will fit. If you're having trouble finding knives for your jointer, Holbren sells them at very attractive prices.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Most Craftman jointers are made by Ridgid. If the product number starts by 113, it is a Ridgid.

Dont buy knives at Sears (craftsman) of Home Depot (Ridgid). Their after market knives knicks because they contain a lower quantity of tungsten then the factory ones.

Buy T1 from Holbren, they contain 18% tungsten. That makes them resist to more heat therefore not loosing their temper.

I ordered from Holsten.
      Mine used model STB6125688125 6-1/8" x 11/16" x 1/8" 17.77$ for a set of 3. Around 24$-25$ CAN incl tax, shipping and money conversion. This is still cheaper than go to Sears or Home depot that sell knives that are 6% tungsten only.

http://www.holbren.com/jointer-planer-knives/
      Last edited by Boogatoo; 11-05-2009, 02:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks for the link. I had noticed the last set I got from Sears sure did not seem to last long.
        Charles

Comment

Most Craftman jointers are made by Ridgid. If the product number starts by 113, it is a Ridgid.
          not to nit pick, but the 113 in the craftsman model number is the manufacturer code for emerson electric:

http://professional-power-tool-guide...-product-code/
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

That's interesting.... I didn't know that jointer knives were interchangeable as long as the dimensions are the same! I had thought that there were other differences, such as method of mounting.

I bought a Jet 6" just before I started buying all my Ridgid stuff, and I always assumed knives would be difficult to find when I was ready for my first replacement set!

Comment

To Finner9998

"113 in the craftsman model number is the manufacturer code for emerson electric"

You are absolutely right, Ridgid is the tools market brand of Emerson Electric.

Ridgid = Emerson Electric = Craftsman (for Craftsman's tools that number begins by 113).

Actualy, go on http://www.ridgid.com/ main page and you will see the Emerson logo at the bottom left of the page.
              Last edited by Boogatoo; 11-05-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

As long as we're nitpicking , I believe that Ridgid is the trademark name of the Ridge Tool Company which is a subsidiary of Emerson Electric which also used to have a working relationship with Sears which is now owned by K-Mart. So, in other words, Ridgid isn't really a company at all but just a trademark name just like Craftsman is. Now, wasn't that fun?
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

So Bogatoo, is this, STB6125688125 6-1/8" x 11/16" x 1/8", the jointer blade that matches the Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer? Is that what you use? Does anyone buy their Ridgid thickness planer blades here (TP1300) and if so what is the model number you order? Thanks in advance.

Comment

In response to ACP,
                    The knives set (3) I mentioned above is exactly what I purchased from Holbren (STB6125688125 6-1/8" x 11/16" x 1/8" 17.77$ for a set of 3) http://www.holbren.com/jointer-planer-knives/.

T1 quality is their standard, they don't sell M2 (the lower grade). There is no higher grade of HSS. If you wand higher grade, you have to buy cardbide. Here is how to understand their code:

GRADE L. W. T
                    Standard Blade 6" 1/8" 11/16" 1/8"
                    STB 6 125 688 125
                    STB6125688125

11/16=.6875 (rounded to 3 digits makes it 688)

The knives arrived well packed and the label has a sticker on it.
                    The sticker shows:

Titan Knife
                    Precision Quality Knives
                    T1 #04179a
                    Planer Set (3)
                    6-1/8" x 11/16" x 1/8"

(I kept the label and sticked it in my user manual for future reference.
                    My jointer is a Craftsmans 0927915 Model 113.279150C (The C in the model number indicates it is a Canadian model)

The time stamped on the motor is 1991.

My user manual said to use blades that are 11/16 wide max and no less than 9/16". For the tickness, 1/8" is used in most of the DIY planers (a few use 3/32" but rarely). For the length, mesure yours before to order, 6" and 6 1/8" are common. Use the same width as what was installed or as what your user manual said.

Another option would be Freud C400 but they are more costy than the Titan and not better.
                    Last edited by Boogatoo; 11-16-2009, 09:55 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Re: Jointer Knives - discount

At Holbren,

when ordering enter coupon code: BT310
                      And you will save an additional 10%

They accept Paypal too.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I ordered them and they arrived two days later for $1.99 S&H! If the blades are as good as the service I am one happy woodworker!

Comment

Working...
                        X