X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-sawing wood

I am just starting to get into wood working and like Daryl C in a different post, I have purchased most of my wood from my local HD. I want to find a less expensive source of lumber. I would think that buying rough sawn lumber from a local lumber yard would be a cheaper route to go. I welcome any thoughts on how much I might expect to save buying kiln dried lumber, "rough sawn" lumber from a lumber yard?

Mike- Sorry for the late reply but... I buy 90% of my wood as "off the saw" i.e. very rough and very green. I stack it outside for a year and then bring it inside. I figure that I will discard 50% of the total board foot measure by the time I get the wood into cabinet building condition.Even at this rate, I am using air dried cherry and walnut for less than $2.00/bd.ft. Rough is the way to go IF you are willing to wait and do the grunt work of planing, ripping, etc that rough lumber requires. Lotsa luck.

Comment

just curious hamhand what moisture is the wood down to after a year air drying in your area. i'm in wis and doubt that it would be suitable i one year if you are stickering it outside. some guys are stacking it in sheds after a year and protecting it from the weather but its still not 'dry'. In my area u can buy rough sawn kill dried lumber depending on species and grade for well under 2.00/bf some species like grey elm and ash are less than 1.00/bf i also have a ready supply of wood from my own land and am in the process of building a solar kiln for myown use aboit 1000-1500 bf as drying cost's in the area run .20/.25/ bf its a lot of work but i find get a lot of enjoyment going from tree to finished project

Comment

Working...
      X