Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need a good low cost router for satruday work.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a good low cost router for satruday work.

I want ot know what type and brand of router you would buy if you only used it mabye 2-6 hours a week? I am planing on getting a fixed / plunge base combo. I really like to skil $99 router at lowes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Polar Sparky 1224 ]
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

From your previous postings I've gotten the impression that you demand excellence from your tools. Why are you changing your standards on this purchase?

In the $200 range, you can get some very highly regarded fixed/plunge combo sets from the likes of Porter-Cable(693LRPK0, DeWalt(DW616PK)or Bosch(1617PK) to name a few.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

2-6 hours a week is more than I'd want to put on the Skil. I think I'd look for a bit more...if you don't want to spring for a Bosch, DW, PC, etc., how's that new Hitachi?

Comment

I went to Lowes and bought a skil once. I will never buy another again. It was VERY difficult to adjust the bit height and when I mounted it in a router table, it kept sliding down. I had a 1/4 deep hole I was routing and by the time I had moved the work 12", it was only at 1/8". I tried in vain to adjust and make it work, but in the end...I returned it and I am glad I did.

I ended up buying a Milwaulkee with the soft grip. 10 times better and it has more power. ADVICE: Buy the Milwaulkee! Skil is made by Bosch (or vice versa), but it is low end, cheap priced stuff. I looked at getting the Hitachi router, but the sales person talked me into the Milwaulkee because many of the Hitachi's are breaking down after 30 days or so.

Just my own experience.
        Dave

Comment

Polar: I have the Porter Cable combo and have put it through Hell--still runs and looks like new. It has both 1/4" and 1/2" collets so you can use either bits. HTH
          Jim

Comment

Thank you for your help. The saying is true you get what you pay for. The skil router is tossed but i think i my go porter cable then. Since my brother in law said it the best.

And for badgerdave, I don't want to buy some expensive tool that wouldn't get used much. But better to ask around before I buy! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Any suppestions for a chop or miter saw?

[ 12-13-2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Polar Sparky 1224 ]

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224:
              And for badgerdave, I don't want to buy some expensive tool that wouldn't get used much.
              PS, just trying to save you from some grief down the road. For a non-production hobbyist user, 2-6 hours a week of run time would be considered, by me anyways, a lot of use. IMO, the Skil router wouldn't give you the kind of life expectancy you'd be happy with.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Bagerdave Thank you for your imput. I'm looking into making furniture on the weekends for fun. What tools would you Recomend I have? I won't be doing fancy things YET but want to start with the basics.
                Thank you.

Comment

look at this:
                  http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16371

this it as rockler, it is a Hitachi 2-1/4 HP Fixed Base Router, and you get a free Hitachi 1/4 Sheet Orbital Sander all for $99.00.

Comment

It looks like the annual tool sale at HD is this weekend. I would purchase the PC like many have said. I currently own 2. One was handed down from my father that he bought about 10 years ago and still runs great.

As for tools for making furniture, you must start with a good solid table saw. Get the most that you can afford. There is no more important machine for a shop than this tool. Next I feel would be a good compound mitre saw. A jointer and thickness planer is a must if you want to work with rough sawn wood. With these few tools, one could do a lot. Throw in some clamps and maybe a random orbital sander and your on your way.

Have fun with your new hobby and work safe.

Jim

Comment

Hi all, just a quick note of philosophy here but remember the difference between what I label proline tools and fathers/mothers day gifts. The proline will AWLAYS cost more, be more durable, give professional results and be fully servicable for a lifetime of work. (that's your lifetime not the tool's). Servicablity is a huge issue here because most of us will use our tools a lot. You don't throw your car away when it needs the oil changed just as the router (especially the router) will need a little maintenance over time. Cheaper tools will usually sacrifice one or more of the qualities above to achieve a lower price. Buy the proline...in the long run you'll be glad you invested your money in a tool instead of spending it. Which brand is often more a matter of personal preference than anything. You won't go wrong with PC, Bosch, or Makita.
                      - Tim

Comment

Look no further a Porter & Cable 1-3/4HP combo fixed / plunge set, its a great machine, my one has been seriously put through its paces, its still like new 3 years later, and the speed range is ideal, even with large RP cuts. If my unit failed tomorrow, tomorrow night I would buy another, great in the hands, guide or table. Good luck.

Comment

I would also look at Makita or Dewalt routers.
                          Andy B.

Comment

Also look again at the Milwaukee. I have never owned a tool from them that I was disappointed with.
                            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Polar Sparky -
                              Did you buy your router yet? If so, tell us how it went. If not, do NOT UNDER ANY CURCUMSTANCES buy the Ryobi. I usually don't buy cheap tools, but I have been reading a lot of good stuff about Ryobi in the tool review magazines. I made the mistake and bought it - the plunge action is absolutely horrible - you almost have to tie a level to your hands, because if you don't push down on it with a perfectly-plumb force, it wouldn't plunge down - and the 1/4" collet just does not want to let go of those bits. I took it back and put the money towards a PC nailgun-compressor combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X