Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming already assembled pieces

Learning the hard way here...

So I am building an "interim" workbench. Made of 2x4s, squared up and planed smooth. I built the frame last night, and then realised I have cut the vertical legs about 1/16th too long (on 3 of them!). Now the legs stand about 1/16th proud of the top rails. I didn't realise this until I had screwed and glued. That 1/16th will be enough to throw the top off sitting level and snug.

So, what's the wisdom here? Options that have occurred to me:

1. Sander. Just sand down the 1/16th. Risk: Crowning the top of the leg.

2. Belt Sander. Will not crown as badly (I hope), but might get tear out.

3. Router. Set router depth to 1/16th, and away we go. Risk: tear out, difficult of keeping it level. Highly likely to go wrong.

4. Panel saw. Just saw it off. Risk: keeping the saw level.

I'm leaning toward belt sander, but any other suggestions gratefully received. I say an Interim bench, because I just want an inexpensive platform to use for a year or two and make mistakes with (eg this one!) before investing serious money in decent lumber for a "real" workbench. So far it has cost me about $50, with another $25 to come. So It's OK if I have to live with a mistake, but I would rather minimise on them

Re: Trimming already assembled pieces

Just a 1/16th of an inch?? I'm happy when I come within a 1/4 inch, brother! I'm thinking belt sander, or what about shimms?

And the name :Roadster... would this suggest you have a Harley?

Comment

Belt sander is usually my choice for minor sizing issues like this; it's a lot quicker then hand sanding, or a random orbital and you can get fairly accurate results.

Another solution which works well is a low angle block plane (if I'm understanding correctly, this is end grain you need to trim?). In fact... if you're used to using hand planes, I'd likely learn towards this route. I tend more to this route lately (as I become more experienced with hand planing).

Cheers,
      --Jeff

Comment

route pockets in the bottom of the top?
        Glue on a shim to raise up the rest of the case work to match the legs.

I would more than likely try to sand them off, one could make some cross cuts so you know the depth to sand to, take a chisel or knife and cut the edge to make a place so if it does tear it does not tear past the sanding depth level,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I think BHD has it.

I'll try marking the correct height on the sides with a knife, then Mr Belt Sander can do his rapid work.

Harley? Noooo.

1982 Mercedes-Benz R107 280SL. Much more chrome (Well until the ex-wife made me sell it )
          Attached Files

Comment

HF Multifunction Tool and a touch-up with a ROS should clean that up nicely. With the right magazine ad and coupon you can get the Multifunction Tool for around $24 if you have a HF brick and mortar store near you.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

All is good in the world

Here's a pic of the problem (excuse phone pic) and the solution. Mr Belt Sander, as discussed. This makes me particularly happy, as the sander was my grandfather's, and he passed away over 20 years ago. That would probably make the sander 25-30 years old. It worked a treat!
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X