X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Ridgid but the same qualtiy! Kreg pocket hole jig

Sorry this is not about Ridgid, so if you don't want to hear an opinion on another tool please stop reading....

If you are a new woodworker or you are thinking about getting into wood working get this tool! The Kreg propack goes for about $120 and it saves you a ton of time and frustration. It also takes the intimidation out of simple joints and at the same time makes nice looking stuff - more experienced wood workers might prefer the more difficult stronger joints but for just a beginner it was a god send. The other good thing about it is that is looks cheap in pictures but when you use it you see a really well constructed product.
    Trust me get this jig!!!

Amazon link
    Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Mick---you're soooo right!

I've only used mine a couple of times, but with their instructions and even a jig to set the depth stop on the drill, it's almost foolproof. While I don't buy into their use of exposed pocket holes (using the filler plugs), it's a great tool with a lot of uses and certainly the only way to go for butt joints.
    Dave

Comment

Exposed joints - really! You don't think it will look that good? I wanted to try still, kind of like showing off dovetails only more industrial looking which is popular lately.
      if I do I will post some up-close pictures. don't get me wrong I don't buy into but joints as the way to build everything though like they want you to believe but that tool sure is handy for table making (skirts, edging)!

Comment

My neighbor whom I trust on everything concerning woodworking says it is his third favorite tool
        Table Saw
        Sander
        Pocket hole jig

Comment

Mick---it's certainly worth a try. I think I remember getting a few plugs in the kit, so you can experiment. It's a classic way of attaching table tops to skirts---all you have to do is elongate the hole at the top of the skirt board.
          Dave

Comment

I must agree 110% on this. I purchased the kit on Saturday morning for an entertainment center I was building.

I was able to build the face frame in less than an hour. It took longer to measure/cut than it did to assemble. The joints were immediate and rock solid.

This is a great tool!

Peter
            -Peter W. Lent<BR>PMi Solutions<BR>www.pmisolutions.net

Comment

I too have heard nothing but great comments on this tool. So, in conjuction with my 15% off coupon at Rockler, I purchased the Kreg K2000 pack.

Going to build kitchen cabinets so I'm looking forward to this tool.

Michael

Comment

THat is a must have jig for any woodworking shop. I wish we sold them a the big orange box, but it seems they are more focused on the contractors than on woodworkers. fortunatly there is a Rockler store right across the street from my store. So that's where I send all my customers for the things I don't carry.
                Jeff

Comment

I got mine at lowes, $125.00 I think for the Pro Kit.

I wish HD sold them too, cause I had 10% off this weekend. O -well, it is worth every dollar and I have only used it once!

Peter
                  -Peter W. Lent<BR>PMi Solutions<BR>www.pmisolutions.net

Comment

Has anybody done any edge joining with the Kreg?
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael,

I have done edging with this tool and in fact, it works best at edging! I built an out feed for my TS from 3/4 mdf and edged with 1x2 Ash. sanded it down and filled in the corners with wood fill because of my crapy miter saw (another story). and stained just the edging. It looks great.

Comment

I have to agree, I use my pocket hole jig all the time. I only have the small "pocket" pocket hole jig which you clamp to the work piece. When my bit got dull I bought a second kit with the bit, jig, and stop collar for $22 at WoodCraft. The replacment Kreg bit was $20, though WoodCraft has a store brand for $15. Now I clamp up two jigs at a time and drill, making work faster.

I use them a lot on larger pieces, cabinet backs (I use 1/2 baltic birch for the entire back), bookshelf bottoms, etc. making the small jig that I can clamp anywhere easy to use.

If you can't swing, or justify the $120 for the large kit, you at least owe it to yourself to buy the small jig.

Steve
                        http://www.bargainbirch.com
                        Steve<br /><a href=\"http://www.bargainbirch.com/commerce/index.php?cPath=21?ad=ridgid\" target=\"_blank\">BargainBirch.com</a>

Comment

I forgot to add that I also strongly recomend using screws specifially made for pocket holes. Kreg makes them and there are other brands.

They have a self drilling tip to bore into the mating piece with less spliting.

Steve
                          BargainBirch.com
                          Steve<br /><a href=\"http://www.bargainbirch.com/commerce/index.php?cPath=21?ad=ridgid\" target=\"_blank\">BargainBirch.com</a>

Comment

i got the Rocket Pocket Jig about 2 weeks Ago.

Im selling it to a buddy of mine......... And going out and getting the Pro-pack.

Its hands down one of the coolest tools out there.

I build alot of mission style tables and this makes assebly time about 1 hour total.

not to mention Faceframe, shelves, or even deck Rail contruction a joke.

Plus a pocket hole joint is about 130% stronger than a biscuit joint.

I did try edge jointing just messing around and the results werent bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X