X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• band saw decision time

I am writing this because after a month of checking prices/reading reviews/looking for good used deals, I can not wait any longer and I am buying a new band saw w/in a week. My two choices are-
    Ridgid 14"or Craftsman 12"
    I can get the craftsman for about $65 cheaper. I know that is not a lot, but it is new blade or two.

I need a bandsaw for cutting laminates and the occasional rounded edge. Some resawing, but nothing greater than a 2x6

12 or 14 depth of throat is not a huge concern.

Normally I bleed orange and would not hesitate to pick a ridgid-lifetime warranty-excellent products
    however, the reviews of the bs14000 are not that great.
    The craftsman has received good reviews online, but they are often time bias-I am not interested in a bad review because you had a problem with the sales man at sears.
    That being said-is the ridgid a good band saw?
    Delta/Jet and the like are out of my price range at this time-so it is pretty much bewteen these two models.

The craftsman does have 2 speeds over the ridgid 1 speed.
    They both have 3/4 hp motors

Craftsman-
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Name=Band+Saws

Ridgid-
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Re: band saw decision time

i passed on both of those in favor of a good craigs list deal on an 18" jet. but in sorting out the jet, my research brought me to lou iturra of iturra design. he is, as far as i can tell, a real authority on band saws. he recommends older delta 14" band saws and provides empiracle data in his catalog of band saw products to support his assertions. i wish i had known about his catalog before i bought the jet. had i come across lou's material before i came across the jet, i would now be on the hunt for a used delta.

if you are still set on either the ridgid or the craftsman, even though i like to be very ridgid focused, that 12" craftsman has gotten many favorable comments and i would give it the nod over the ridgid. if, however, you decide on the ridgid, get the october , 2006 issue of wood magazine for the ridgid band saw tune up article by michael fortune. good luck.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

There's a lot of mixed posts on the Ridgid and I've gotten the impression that if you're willing to do a lot of re-adjusting, etc. the Ridgid is okay. That Craftsman is a decent bandsaw, but that seems like a lot of money for the 12" unless you can pick it up on sale.

I was just in my local Sears a couple of weeks ago and they had a 14" on clearance for $400. Now that's a steal, IMHO, and if I had the money at the time I would have grabbed it. You might check your local stores to see if there is a similar clearance. The 12 and 14 inch Craftsman bandsaws have received some very good reviews.

I'm a great Ridgid fan and certainly that's the first option for any of my tool purchases, but I think I'd question the Ridgid bandsaw further. I'm sure there will be some other members who will offer thier opinion.

You might also take a look at Grizzly, as their bandsaws are often well reviewed, but I'm not up on their latest offerings or whether they are above the price range that you're seeking.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I have the 12 inch Craftsman - it has been problem free right out of the box.

Comment

Given those two choices I would choose neither and buy the Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw. You might as well save yourself over $100 off the Ridgid's price. If you have a HF retail store near you, pick up the current copy of WOOD Magazine. There is a HF ad in there with a coupon for 20% of a single item.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Buy a used one. Try craigslist. With a little patience you will be able to get twice the bandsaw for the money.
            If you want new, Grizzly has a bandsaw for about the same price as the Ridgid that gets great reviews.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I bought the Ridgid on sale during the October 2nd sale at HD. With new tires, a link belt, mobile base, cool blocks, a quality blade and 3/4" MDF on the top and middle sections of the base, I have zero vibration issues with it.
              It now starts, runs and stops repeatedly with a nickel balanced on edge. The Kreg fence and Carter ratchet rod tensioner were things I was going to buy/replace anyways. Although I consider these more luxuries than the other parts, they do play their part in this machine's smooth operation.
              I am considering a 1 1/2 HP motor replacement, but I have yet to hear word from a senior member here about this idea.

Comment

Well my wife received a gift card to sears, so I went with the 12" craftsman. I have not set it up yet as I am wondering about a mobile base. I have seen many different mobile base options-I have the herculift on my r4516.
                My question to the group is stability?
                If I were to build a simple base for my 160lb bandsaw w/ locking casters, will it be stable enough? Or should I buy a mobile base that will actually raise and lower the unit off of the floor, so when in position it will be on the leveling feet?

Comment

Hey Jeep Man. Congrats on your new purchase! I have the Ridgid BS and it's a pretty decent tool for me.

That being said, to address your question on mobile base, it's important to remember that the BS really does best when it's as stable as possible. I think you'd be much better off with leveling feet than the caster idea. The thing I love about the TS mobile base is it moves easily when on the casters, but when I drop it down I can level it where ever it is using the feet. A level, stable surface is incredibly important.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

jeepman...how'd you apply a herc-u-lift to the r4516?
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have HTC2000 Mobile Base on my Band Saw,Radial Arm Saw,and Planer. They work great. I bought them from Rockler for $59.99 each. I was going to build mobile bases, but cost of materials would be more or about the same as purchasing the HTC2oo.

Comment

I meant to write r4511-not 4516-sorry for the confusion

Comment

Working...
                        X