Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing a polyurathane surface?

Hello,

I recently finished a mission style oak coffee table. However, I forgot to glue and screw the blocks to the upper rails that will secure the table top. The table is stained and finished with polyurathane, I'm guessing wood glue is no longer an option.
    Maybe an epoxy? Anyone have experience with a situation like this?

The table top gets screwed to the blocks, wich are srewed and glued to the rails. Here's a crude illustration:
    Last edited by Saw Dust; 10-17-2009, 03:58 PM. Reason: picture
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

Re: Gluing a polyurathane surface?

I think that I would just sand away the finish from the area of the rails where the blocks are going to go. These areas won't be visible after the blocks are mounted to the rails.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Why not just screw the blocks to the rails.

or

Cut slots or pockets in the inside of the rails and use "Z" clips. One end of the clip fits into the slot and the other end has a hole in it for the screw to be driven into the top.

G3

Comment

You could use figure 8 clips as well. These allow the wood to expand and contract with the seasons.

Comment

Thanks Dave, G3. I'll screw them in. If it gets any play in it over time I'll sand and glue.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Thx Wayne. Those look interesting. The plan called for an oversized hole to allow for table top expansion. I think I'll give the Figure 8's a try on the end tables.

Comment

Nice table!

Comment

Thx Gusty.

Comment

Might try Roo glue?

Comment

Figure 8s are great, I use them at work all the time. A simple shallow counter-bore with a Forstner bit will mortise them into the surface of the rails.

Comment

That's a beauty of a table, Sawdust! Good job.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Great looking table. I just finished a Misson style coffee table and used the figure 8 clips since it has two drawers.

Charles
                        Charles

Comment

Thx guys. It's my first 'real' project with the new tools. Matching end tables are ready for glue up, then on to a sofa table. I built them using the Mission Trio plan from Rockler. Now, to find a use for all the planer chips

Comment

Working...
                          X