X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 is galling.

My TS3650 starting galling on me this past Sunday. I don't know why this started happening. I don't know whats causing it or how to fix it. This saw is only a couple years old and not heavily used. Its doing this on the back trunion. Any ideas?

Re: TS3650 is galling.

ok that was not a very good description. Let me try to do better. The rear trunion is being damaged by the cradle assembly when I try to tilt the blade.

Comment

Unless under an extremely heavy load, metal would only gall from a lack of lubrication (galling is the physical transfer of metal from one surface to another...which is done via heat/friction)

Comment

Maybe this is too obvious but did you release the Tilt Lock before attempting to change the blade angle?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yes the tilt lock is released. Possibly I have misused the word "galling". My problem is that the rear trunion is being "shaved" down on the inside of the grove when I try to adjust the blade from 90 to 45 degrees. It is very tight and cutting metal from the trunion.

Comment

spaids, I had never heard of that until yesterday when on another forum, a member with a 3650TS reported the exact same thing. Sorry this is happening to your saw, and his as well, but I will be interested to know if this is a lubrication issue, and if we are all supposed to periodically lubricate our trunnion assemblies. I vacuum mine, periodically inside, but would not have a clue about lubing it if that became necessary.

Comment

You might want to check to see if your front and rear trunions are parallel. I had a similar problem after I adjusted my trunions to align the blade parallel to the mitre slot - I didn't realize that I needed the trunions to also be reasonably aligned.

There are three bolts on the front and rear trunions arranged in a triangle. When I say they need to be parallel, what I mean is that an imaginary line running through the centre of the two outer bolts on the front trunion should be parallel to the imaginary line running through the centre of the two outer bolts on the rear trunion.

I didn't take any particular steps to be precise. All I did was I rotated the misaligned trunion so that the part that was doing the cutting wasn't cutting anymore, then double check for parallel with the mitre slot. I don't tilt my saw much, so a fair while passed between me causing this problem and finding it. Mine only needed to be moved a hair.

Comment

AFAIK, the trunnion brackets are zinc and are a little on the soft side. I've have heard of this happening a couple of other times. It should be covered under warranty, but if not, you might find that most of the older Emerson made Craftsman trunnion brackets will fit. I have an extra set lying around...send me a PM if you're interest...pay shipping and they're yours.

Last edited by hewood; 11-10-2009, 06:17 AM.

Comment

congratulations guys, awesome work.
                  I look forward to seeing what you do in the next challenge.
                  Electric adjustable beds prices frame | Air adjustable bed mattress | Electric adjustable beds prices

Comment

Working...
                  X