X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight Router Bits

I have an issue I'm hoping someone here can help with. I bought a new PC router and mounted it in my table. For some reason, the bits fit so tight in the collet, I cannot remove them easily. So tight, I already cut myself with a bit while pulling on it to change to another bit. I don't want to put anything inside the collet, wd-40 or a dab of grease, for fear the bit will slip when in use. I loosen the nut till it almost comes off the router. Any ideas to resolve this? Thanks for the help.
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Re: Tight Router Bits

About the only thing I can suggest is the age-old instruction that says you shouldn't insert the shank all the way into the collect... in other words, it shouldn't "bottom-out".

I always insert the shank until it touches the bottom and then retract it about an 1/8-inch. The shank heats up in use and this can cause it to sieze, if there's no expanson room.

I thought that P-C collets had a design that incorporated a "release" into them. My Ridgid router has a tight fit, but inserting the shank as described, the "release" design immediately loosens it's grip when I back off the collet nut.

On my older routers, I can tap the bit slightly using a dowel, if necessary to have the collet let go of the shank... but again, there's got to be some space at the bottom of the shank.

Lastly, I never just grip a bit to remove it. I always use a rag just in case it's hot and of course to keep from getting cut, if a tight grip is necessary. If your bit is presently stuck, I suggest unplugging your router (should always be the safe procedure anyway), use your collet wrench to hold the collet in place and then wrap the cutter with a rag, and carefully try rotate the bit out of the collet.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

on any router I have ever used I find the bit needs a slight tap to remove it,
      after a slight tap mine bits have normally just fallen out,

(you can even have them stick (or more correctly the Collate sticks) when the Collate nut is total removed),

the taper of the Collate sticks is all that is happening in most situations, and need a little help to release it, I have had the problem with Dewalt, and industrial B&D, Sears, and my Porter cable routers all seem to have the same problem,

(I usually just take the collate wrench and tap near the base of bit on a not cutting surface, usually one or two slight taps and it free.)
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        on any router I have ever used I find the bit needs a slight tap to remove it,
        after a slight tap mine bits have normally just fallen out,

(you can even have them stick (or more correctly the Collate sticks) when the Collate nut is total removed),

the taper of the Collate sticks is all that is happening in most situations, and need a little help to release it, I have had the problem with Dewalt, and industrial B&D, Sears, and my Porter cable routers all seem to have the same problem,

(I usually just take the collate wrench and tap near the base of bit on a not cutting surface, usually one or two slight taps and it free.)
        I have found the same. Tapping the collet nut with the wrench once loosened will do just as well. As you have already learned, never grip a router bit with bare hands to try and pull it out by force. Just a tap and it will fall out.

Comment

When I bought my Hitachi router (I bought a reconditioned one), the bit was so tight that it wasn't easy to take it out. When it did come out, the bit's shank was scratched up. I called Hitachi's tech support and I was told that it shouldn't be that tight. They sent me a new collet that fixed the problem.

I would check the collet.

Comment

If you put your bit in at the proper depth, one or two spins on the locking nut will free the bit.

Comment

It is not unusual for tools mounted via a collet to "stick".

Every Bridgeport vertical mill (and their copies) that I ever used you "tapped" the collet bolt at the top of the machine with the wrench after loosening to make the collet drop free.

I always loosen the router collet and tap twice on the nut to free the bit.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that responded. It seems everyone had the same suggestion with tapping on the collet nut to loosen the collet itself, I hadn't thought of doing that. I will give it a try this evening and let everyone know what happens. Oh, I do leave room beneath the bit in the collet, that's why I had been confused with my problem. My other P/C router just a slight tap on the shank and it's loose.

Again, thanks to all.

Comment

Well I gave tapping on the collet nut a try and lo & behold, it slid right out. I would never have thought of doing this. Thanks everyone..

Comment

no problem... We all have things still to learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X