X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No more New Yankee Workshop!

"And remember, there is no more important safety rule than to wear these, safety glasses"

Comment

One of the best shows ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus View Post
        While I can certainly understand why Norm would be tired of doing the show after 21 years, that really means there are no widespread dedicated woodworking shows on TV anymore. Granted, Norm had a powertool fetish but he did a good job of introducing people to woodworking and making people feel they could accomplish something, assuming they didn't get scared away by his shop.

I think it's important to have a show like NYS or Woodworks where people can see actual woodworking being done and get interested. We have to keep attracting new people to the hobby or it'll eventually fade away.
        PBS also airs "The Woodsmith Shop" and in some areas they run The Woodwrights Shop with Roy Underhill. Both these shows are very different than the NYW, but maybe something new will come along to fill the gap.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

anyone here think of the wood whisperer as a possible replacement for NYW?

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/

mark spagnuolo seems to do a good job of addressing woodworking in a practical and interesting way. i'm not a fan of his webcasts, but at least he builds stuff. i like the woodsmith shop but it seems to be all tools and technique with little project based presentations.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            PBS also airs "The Woodsmith Shop" and in some areas they run The Woodwrights Shop with Roy Underhill. Both these shows are very different than the NYW, but maybe something new will come along to fill the gap.
            Except I don't think either are all that widespread. I know neither airs anywhere in my area, there are a couple woodworking shows I'd love to see but never have the opportunity.

Hopefully someone else will come along though. When David Marks ran on DIY, I enjoyed it greatly, but it seems like they've stopped showing old episodes of NYW and they're almost entirely home renovation now, nothing else.

Comment

but it seems to be all tools and technique with little project based presentations.
              Agree. More emphasis is on selling the tools and showing techniques than on completing a project.

There is nothing on the air now that can fill the void left by Norm and the NYW. That does not mean that others are not as good, but that the format and focus of the other shows is not the same as the NYW had.

I would like to see whole seasons of the NYW offered in DVD sets. I don't know why PBS did not offer these all these years. For a pledge you could get a copy of each show, 4 per DVD, complete with PDF copies of the plans for $250 or something like that. Sounds high but with Norm doing anywhere from 18 to 20 projects a year it pretty cheap. Even if you only built a third of the projects its not a bad deal.

They could have made some good money offering the whole season like that and releasing a DVD every month after the shows aired. There would be little overrun because all your subscribers would have signed up in the beginning. You burn a few extras but when they are gone they're gone or you can crank out more.

They could even go back and do that now, they've got 21 years of projects to draw on.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

I always thought Norm did a great job of showing "a way" to make something in a 20minute windown
                Meilleur taux calcul simulation pret personnel |
                Demande pret personnel credit |
                Simulation credit personnel a taux reduit

Comment

Buy NYW plans and videos here.

http://www.newyankee.com/catalog.php#1
                  I like orange tools!!!!!

Comment

An end of an era, that's for sure. I'm not alone in saying that Norm served to inspire many countless woodworkers, novice and pro, to just go and make sawdust. As for having umpteen thousands of bucks worth of tools - which home improvement show doesn't ? DYI, this Old House proceeds to wheel in equipment to a jobsite, rented or otherwise, it costs a small fortune. So when Norm does it as a one man show, it's even more amazing. I still watch all the other channels of shows, and do appreciate the craftsmanship, planning, budget, realism, etc. But New Yankee stands alone, because Norm stood alone, that was the draw to me, one guy in a workshop. No other show has that format in TV rotation, or at least none as good as Norm did it on NYW. It was like entering your dream workshop and he made you feel as if with the right tools and procedures you could build this or your own masterpiece with time and effort. Loved it for the 20 years it was on our local New England PBS stations. I'm sorry to see it go, because just this year almost 20 years after meeting Norm at a book signing at Spag's in Shrewsbury, I finally started putting together my own workshop in my garage which major item started with a TS3650. I owe it all to the dream instilled by watching master woodworkers practicing their craft and I thank anyone who is bold enough to put themselves out there to inspire all levels of wood enthusiats. You will be missed Norm, thanks.

Otherwise, now if only PBS would bring back the old reruns of Doctor Who from the 70's that would be a fantastic!

-Peace and Justice and the American Way forever
                    Last edited by pemdas89; 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM.
                    Steve

Comment

This is a little sad. I became interested in woodworking due to the show. I used to watch it religiously, until my career got the better of me for a while. Now that I am getting more serious about this hobby, the show ends. I remember feeling somewhat reluctant to start woodworking seeing how much tools Norm has. I will probably never have as many tools as he does, but by the time I am his age, I might be 99% there!

Comment

Originally posted by vnh View Post
                        This is a little sad. I became interested in woodworking due to the show. I used to watch it religiously, until my career got the better of me for a while. Now that I am getting more serious about this hobby, the show ends. I remember feeling somewhat reluctant to start woodworking seeing how much tools Norm has. I will probably never have as many tools as he does, but by the time I am his age, I might be 99% there!
                        Do not let the end of the show stop you from pursuing your hobby,
                        I have a feeling there will be re-runs for years to come.

Also, there is this encouraging video link I found on www.NewWookie.com
                        A Final Goodbye From Norm & Russ
                        Posted by David on November 6, 2009:
                        Here is a video from Norm & Russ to all who were involved in the
                        making & supporting of The New Yankee Workshop. Click here to view.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

New Yankee Workshop - Episode 1 online

The first episode of the New Yankee Workshop is online.

From the NYW home page:
                          At last, New Yankee Online is here. Everyone has been asking for it, so here is a start... an experiment. We will be offering complete programs on our website for you to enjoy. If you like the programs you see here and you want a high quality, fully featured DVD of the project and (where applicable) a measured drawing we are standing by to fill your order.

Each selected program will air here on the website for one week only then replaced by another. We currently have a few lined up, starting with the Medicine Cabinet, Program #101 from Season 1. This was the first program we aired back in 1988. A lot of changes have occurred in the shop since then and even Norm hasn't been spared the effects of 20 years of hard work. Please let us know what you think, if we get enough positive feedback, we will keep bringing you a different repeat episode each week.
                          There is an article about it on Popular Woodowrking's site here:
                          http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...le+Online.aspx
                          ---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

Will never forget... "Hi this is Bob Villa and while I pull this nail out of this board, Norm will build the second floor of this house..."

Comment

es tu francais?
                              Bertrand

Comment

Working...
                              X