X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more New Yankee Workshop!

This just hit my inbox (forgive me if everybody already knew)

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...s+Up+Shop.aspx

Re: No more New Yankee Workshop!

Saw that elsewhere.. Been debate for some time over if he was going to keep it up or cut loose.

Wonder how long until the flood of NYW videos hit the torrent sites.

Comment

I read it elsewhere also. I enjoyed the show for many years and am glad I was able to meet him several times. He is a great guy to talk with.

Red
      Red

Comment

I did and do enjoy watching the program, but I really felt the last few years were not what they should have been,

yes it is great, if you have a totally equipped shop, and ever tool under the sun,
        even after building custom cabinets in my business, I never accumulated near the tools Norm had, and I had a nice shop at that time,

I personally think he was losing touch with the beginning and part time wood worker,
        as ever move he made was with some expensive power tool,

He did not even hardly even drive a nail by hand in the last number of years,

If I was lacking tools to do a project like he was doing it, what would it have been like for many of the not professional wood workers on this board,

I think showing the best of tools was good, but I think there should have been scenes of how to do it with less and even by hand if possible, so it could have appealed to more skill levels, or income levels, and shop levels,

even a segment of show on how to use tools would have been good, or show on joints and the various tools that could be used to create them,

Maybe my thoughts on the program are unfounded, but I do think that, If I was going to teach some one on how to do some thing, that I would want to cover a number of levels of doing it, with various tool investment, and methods.

not ever one can afford to spend $50,000 on there shop to build a coffee table,
        or have tool company's donating them tools.

Yes I will miss the program, I noticed the last few I watched were "reruns" of projects he had done in the past. (they were introduced that way),
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          I did and do enjoy watching the program, but I really felt the last few years were not what they should have been,

yes it is great, if you have a totally equipped shop, and ever tool under the sun,
          even after building custom cabinets in my business, I never accumulated near the tools Norm had, and I had a nice shop at that time,

I personally think he was losing touch with the beginning and part time wood worker,
          as ever move he made was with some expensive power tool,

He did not even hardly even drive a nail by hand in the last number of years,

If I was lacking tools to do a project like he was doing it, what would it have been like for many of the not professional wood workers on this board,

I think showing the best of tools was good, but I think there should have been scenes of how to do it with less and even by hand if possible, so it could have appealed to more skill levels, or income levels, and shop levels,

even a segment of show on how to use tools would have been good, or show on joints and the various tools that could be used to create them,

Maybe my thoughts on the program are unfounded, but I do think that, If I was going to teach some one on how to do some thing, that I would want to cover a number of levels of doing it, with various tool investment, and methods.

not ever one can afford to spend $50,000 on there shop to build a coffee table,
          or have tool company's donating them tools.

Yes I will miss the program, I noticed the last few I watched were "reruns" of projects he had done in the past. (they were introduced that way),
          Couldn't agree more BHD. You're right on track with your thinking and comments. I too have enjoyed watching Norm since the show started, and will miss it for sure, but the past year of reruns made me realize that something was up. I think that was to give Norm some time away from the shop and make up his mind on what he wanted to do down the road.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I will really miss his shows. I really never thought he had too many tools or tools that I don't have. Although he and I work differently. Yes, there are some tools in the shop that none of us would have (the Timesaver sander for one), but he never used it on the show....and specifically because his viewers would not have such equipment. (David Marks for instance was forever using his Multi-Router which hardly any of us hobby folks would ever drop the cash for)

I always thought Norm did a great job of showing "a way" to make something in a 30 minute window. I don't work much like Norm, but enjoyed watching him work.

But, mainly we will miss him for what he did...that is get tons of new folks involved in woodworking. Doubtful that any one indvidual did as much for the hobby as he did. And the growth of the hobby has benefitted all of us in the cost of the tools we buy.
            Last edited by tomapple; 10-22-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Years ago I'd wake up and watch hometime and this old house, but start to fade watching the new yankee workshop.

I admired the work and craftmanship though, thought it was spectacular to work with wood without burning it, splitting it, gouging big huge holes through it like I do all these years in my profession of plumbing.

The saying is always true...

All Good Things Must Come To An End

and there's no way around it.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I too have enjoyed watching his shows for many years. But yesterday while watching a re-run of the kitchen cabinet series the "HOT WALL" I began to notice that he was not to concerned with being accurate with measurements and taking the easy way out. Dont get me wrong I like the easy way out sometimes but to come from this individual really surprised me.

Regardless I will miss watching new episodes but look forward to the oldies.

Comment

Received this in an email from Popular Woodworking:

International Norm Abram Day

It was a sad day when we learned that "The New Yankee Workshop" was ceasing
                  production after more than 20 years. And we wanted to come up with some way
                  to mark the occasion and pay tribute to Norm Abram, the genial host of this
                  landmark woodworking show.

And so we have declared Saturday (which just happens to be Halloween)
                  "International Dress Like Norm Day." We're asking all the fans to don their best red
                  plaid flannel shirts, take a photo of themselves and e-mail it to us. The best photo
                  will win a prize (still to be announced) that will warm the heart of any fan of the show.
                  Check out all the details on our blog.

Last edited by Bob D.; 10-28-2009, 05:02 PM.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

A wood butcher like myself really appreciated a guy that could do stuff right. I even liked the fancy tools. I liked Norm the best on the early this old house.
                    I also enjoyed that guy that only used old hand tools on PBS. The name escapes me. By the way who was the guy on this forum that built the awesome muzzel loaders

Comment

Wasn't me (although the wife keeps me muzzled...the loaded part, well I do that on my own)

Comment

I also enjoyed that guy that only used old hand tools on PBS.
                        That would be Roy Underhill of The Woodwright's Shop. I liked that show too but unfortunately it has not been aired in this area for over 10 years.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Any room for the Red Green show now?
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Red Green was funny. I miss that one too.

"If they don't find ya handsome, they'll sure find
                            you handy" or something like that Red used to say.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

While I can certainly understand why Norm would be tired of doing the show after 21 years, that really means there are no widespread dedicated woodworking shows on TV anymore. Granted, Norm had a powertool fetish but he did a good job of introducing people to woodworking and making people feel they could accomplish something, assuming they didn't get scared away by his shop.

I think it's important to have a show like NYS or Woodworks where people can see actual woodworking being done and get interested. We have to keep attracting new people to the hobby or it'll eventually fade away.

Comment

Working...
                              X