Re-arranging shop and adding a DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-arranging shop and adding a DC

So I used to be fairly satisfied with my tools, and only the table saw was a real issue. Then I joined here and on lumberjocks to find out how to put my r4511 together, because I thought that was all I needed to upgrade.

Now I know about powermatic, delta, ridgid, jet, and lust after more tools.

So I had always gotten by with a shop vac in the shop and probably knew that was bad, but didn't really know or want to spend more on a better system.

Well with winter ahead of us and fall on top of us I bit the bullet and got a dust collector. I've only had it for a week, but I know realize I should have had it like you have a dust mask, safety glasses, a good blade for your saw. Its just a necessary piece of equipment.

However coupled to the Table saw and my crosscut RAS unit, I am pleased with its performance and hope it will prove to be a good unit.

It looks like an HF unit, but has a 1 micron canister 1.5 hp, 1250 cfm and was $435 delivered into my garage. Its made by Penn State Industries, and has a 30 day no questions asked return, and a 2 year warranty, so I took a shot at it.

I had planned on re-arranging my shop and adding a DC at some point but decided it was time. Now I just need to get some more lighting, electrical drops in and a new work table, then I will search for a good planer, sliding miter, and maybe a jointer. One day I may look at a bandsaw.

Oh yeah my shop in this new house came with a partition in the garage so here is the other half that has the HF drill press, bandsaw, and assorted tools to play with.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cato; 10-22-2009, 07:17 PM. Reason: add a picture

Re: Re-arranging shop and adding a DC

That's a very nice area you've got there. I only wish I had that kind of space.

I gotta ask though, what with the pieces of ply under the legs of your RAS. That sure looks like a trip and fall waiting to happen to me?
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

+1 on plywood question.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Hmm, plywood seems like it ought to be in a workshop, if not where it is. My question is why is there a pink fluffy toy on the tool board? Is there something you want to tell us?

Comment

Hey guys, under the RAS are cardboard pieces I used as sliders to move the RAS to that location. Thing is heavy and I just left them there for time being to make sure that is where I wanted to leave the saw. I like having it hooked up to the DC unit.

Ah the pink hog in the leather jacket, somehow ended up in a box with my tools when we moved and so he became a shop mascot stuffed between the wall studs when I was unpacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
            Hey guys, under the RAS are cardboard pieces I used as sliders to move the RAS to that location.
            I too, wish I had that kind of room in my shop.
            I have to move my TS and DP around often and have found
            those slick furniture sliders to work very well. They come in
            various sizes and are more stable and cheaper than casters.
            I know your RAS is gonna be permanent, but for those of us
            that have to move equipment around those sliders are the ticket.

Comment

Good looking space you got there. And the DC is the same make as what I bought a few weeks ago, although I opted for the 2HP model.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Great lookin shop! I like your mascot especially

I agree that a dedicated DC is necessary in any shop. It certainly helps out with breathing, and with tools like a planer and jointer, the DC will make them run better longer. A good DC should be required with a planer, IMHO.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                X