X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving the Fence (TS2424 TS3612 etc)

What's the worst force you've needed to start the fence moving to position it? Would you estimate 2 to 4 pounds? Some table fences move easily and some are a real bear (misaligned, metal to metal, etc). I will be assembling a 3612 (xmas present) soon as it warms up in my garage. Man, what a heavy box. I plan on designing a drive system for the fence and motor height/angle both. The goal is to not double the cost of the table. It shouldn't cost 24 times the cost of a 2424 as mentioned in an earlier thread. I am certain of the motor height/angle drive's relatively low cost. Fence accuracy, however, is another topic. I am a hobbyist, not a store or a company in case you wondered. (currently a programmer, AutoCAD programmer, and an ex-electrical designer with both servo and metrology background -- almost became a machinist at one time, love working with my hands making things)

Yow, CNC fences are hyper-cool. I was the one posted the control panel from a $14,000 Format-4 yesterday. I wish you the best of luck, that's the slickest high end project idea I've heard of in a long time.

Fence should move very easily I think, but may be susceptible to cocking. Not sure, I haven't played with a 3612 fence.

Dave
    (of course, there are other excuses for the Format-4's price... )

Comment

I don't know how many pounds of force it requires to move the fence, but I know the fence on the 3612 moves a lot easier than the one on the 2424. If it's setup properly and waxed, it moves quite smoothly.

Comment

Thanx for the replies. I will measure mine after it's built, but that's only good for that table. A more general solution is desired. Fence movement and positioning ease, blade height and angle setting ease is a topic in itself. Whatever I come up with over time, I will certainly post materials, sources, and methods I needed to make it work on my new table. With 5 kids, I assure you it will have to be a cost effective solution. As with all of you, I feel that within my budget, ridgid is about the best. Now about the home depot shoe salesmen, well that's another issue. Depends on the store. Newer ones seem to cater to plastic bubble pak clueless swarms general hardware store shoppers whereas the older ones still have bins of parts you can pick from and keeps contractors supplied.

Comment

Robert,

I am so sorry it took me so long to get this number to you.

On a TS3612 it takes between 3 ans 3 1/2 Lbs of force to move the fence when its unlocked. This is on a new, unused unit. Waxing the rails should make it easier.

Jake

Comment

Jake

Thank you so much for your persistence. I now have an official design goal. Can't wait for warm spring weather. Get On Track With The R-PAK! (Ridgid Power Assist Kit). At least us forum people will have it....

Comment

Working...
            X