X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used TS3650 - what to look for

OK, hot on the heels of VASandy's thread on buying a RAS, and the alternatives proposed, I may be being a bit insane, but I thought of taking my own advice: buying a used 3650 to add to my 3660.

Rationale: I have a lashed-up outfeed table using a Workmate with a hastily-improvised raised surface that just about does the job for the 3660, but is begging for replacement with a proper job. I had suggested in the RAS thread buying a second TS, and dedicating one to a rip blade and one to a crosscut blade. If I position the crosscut one as an outfeed table for the rip one, that makes sense to me, and not much more expensive than making a presentable outfeed table for my existing 3660.

So, I found one on craigslist for $250. I have a 3660, not a 3650, and I believe the differences are minor (legs, possibly motor mounting).

I am sure I read about arbor issues with the 3650. How do I tell if it has an issue, or has been replaced?

Is there such a thing as the cast iron having rusted too far, or is it just a matter of more elbow grease and T-9/acid/WD-40/whatever? I know steel can be sanded back, but what about cast iron?

Any advice on buying a used TS3650 greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Used TS3650 - what to look for

1. leg set was the only real difference between 3660 and 3650

2. look at the arbor without the blade. the innermost portion of the defective arbors seemed to have an extra thread cut that resulted in a valley into which either teh innermost dado blade or a chipper rested, resulting in a dado cut that was less than flat when using a stack dado set. one of the forum threads had great photos of the defect, but i don't have the link.

3. i restored the cast iron table of an 18" jet band saw that had its miter gauge rusted solid into the miter slot. CI seems to be eminently workable. HTH
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks Finer!

So looking pessimistically, let's say the arbor is the defective kind.

I have a Ridgid service center very close to my house. Is the replacement of the arbor a warranty issue? I am assuming that the 3650 has a lifetime warranty (of the tool). Is this a correct assumption? If so, it doesn't really matter whether the arbor is defective or not, I could just have it replaced if it is, and not worry about it if it isn't. I don't really want to pay more than the $250 to have it replaced on my dime. Even then though, I could just not use that saw for a dado set, and use the other one.

Finer - when the bandsaw table cleaned up, were you left with any pitting? That's my greatest fear on the CI front.

Comment

the orange stationary power tools from ridgid did not, to the best of my knowledge, have the same lifetime guaranty as the pre-2003(?) gray ridgid tools. the limited lifetime service agreement(LLSA) was, and currently is, still available for post 2003 stationary power tools. however, the LLSA is a program for which tools must be registered, otherwise, the tools carry a 3 year guaranty (warranty?). however, i believe both teh 3 year initial program and the LLSA apply only to the original owner of the tool. i'm sure there are others on this forum with more detailed knowledge regarding this who will chime in as appropriate. my best guess would be that you are on your own with the used 3650, unless it is an authorized reconditioned tool which would normally carry a 1 year warranty from the seller. as you mentioned craigs list, i suspect the seller is an individual so you would probably be your own.

here is a link to the thread with some photos of the 18" band saw:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27452

post #9 has a good photo of the band saw table once i got it home. post #16 has two photos of the cleaned up BS. no pitting at all and, after 3 coats of paste wax, its dead flat and very slippery. HTH.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Awesome reply - Thanks very much. Your bandsaw looks great, so I'm hopeful I can get there too. I just know it's going to be rusty as hell!

No biggie on the warranty/arbor thing, it sounds as though it is only an issue with dado sets, and I have a 3660 I can use for that.

Comment

Here's a pic that someone took a couple of years ago:

Comment

I bought my TS-3650 about 6 months ago from someone who had purchased it in 2008. Ever since, I have been wondering whether or not it has the defective arbor. So I finally decided to find out. I removed the blade and took this close up picture of the arbor hopping that posting it to this board will yield a definitive answer.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Hawk; 01-03-2010, 05:11 PM. Reason: include picture

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                I bought my TS-3650 about 6 months ago from someone who had purchased it in 2008. Ever since, I have been wondering whether or not it has the defective arbor. So I finally decided to find out. I removed the blade and took this close up picture of the arbor hopping that posting it to this board will yield a definitive answer.

Your arbor looks good to me. No worries Mate.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bod D,
                  Thanks for the reassuring reply.

Comment

Working...
                  X