grizzly stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grizzly stuff?

I am starting to finish a house Ive been building and I need a planer and dust syatem.
    Grizzly's Pa wharehouse is nearby but I have never owned any of their tools. I know some of you guys like their table saw alot but what about their g1017 planer ($329)compared to the dewalt dw734 ($379) Grizzly also has a g1028z ($239)1300cfm dust collector that I am comparing to the jet dc-650($199)650cfm The jet comes with $125 rebates right now from amozon which makes it a $75 bargain. I need to buy soon so how about a little help if you own any of the above.
    Barrell
    p.s. Im running my rigid 3650 on a dedicated 115 volt circuit and have no complaints. Is their any advantage of running a 220v circuit to it?

In general--be prepared for price increases. I heard that Griz' will be raising theirs. I've ordered a few small things from them and they've always been good. People rave about their table saws and some of the new bandsaws. But take your bargains while you can get them because steel prices are driving things up.

Going to 220 on a motor will allow it to run cooler with great efficiency---not more power.
    Dave

Comment

FYI, The DC-650 does not qualify for the Jet $100 rebate as it is not on the initial tool purchase list.

Chuck

Comment

Alot of Griz's stuff is good...some of the real cheap stuff scares me some. Their DC's a excellent...if you have 220 available go for the G1029 rather than the 1028. I don't hear much about the benchtop planers....usually s/h makes them more expensive than the well proven machines from DeWalt, Ridgid, Makita or Delta....The Griz might be fine, but I'd probably stick with one of the others.

Running your TS on 220 will only offer an advantage if the current flow in your current wiring isn't adequate to fully supply the motor at 110v. Being that the 3650 only draws 13 amps, it's more likely to do fine on a 110v circuit. If you've got 220 available, no harm in switching.

Comment

Yeaheh, I spent 6 hours last night on the net reading feedback and have come to the same conclusions. Three blades seem to be the future of planers I just wish the dewalt blades werent so thin and fragile. There are a lot of reports of guys picking up nicks and chips in the blades from knots etc. and the blade life doesnt seem very long. But they all say the dewalt three blades are awsome non the less.
          The grizz 2hp dc with .3 bags seems to be the best machine in its price range. Only complaints are how noisy it is. I have read where a couple of guys have walled them off in the corner of the shop using hvac filters to allow the return air to reenter the room.
          I may still run a 200amp circuit to my saw just out of curiousity, the dedicated 120amp circuit has been fine so far.
          barrel

Comment

Barrell,

You might want to check out the dust collection systems at Penn State Industries.

http://www.pennstateind.com/

The prices seem pretty decent and the performance is excellant as I've been told. They don't mind publishing their specs right up front and I believe one micron bags are stand.

Merry Christmas to all,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by barrell:
              Yeaheh, I spent 6 hours last night on the net reading feedback and have come to the same conclusions. Three blades seem to be the future of planers I just wish the dewalt blades werent so thin and fragile. There are a lot of reports of guys picking up nicks and chips in the blades from knots etc. and the blade life doesnt seem very long. But they all say the dewalt three blades are awsome non the less.
              The grizz 2hp dc with .3 bags seems to be the best machine in its price range. Only complaints are how noisy it is. I have read where a couple of guys have walled them off in the corner of the shop using hvac filters to allow the return air to reenter the room.
              barrel
              Yeah...the advantages of three blade planers are increased CPI, and longer blade life .... theoretically, unless you get a knick....the disadvantage is higher replacement cost.

I don't believe the Griz DC is any louder than any other...and they're alot quieter than a shop vac.

Comment

Working...
              X