X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 Motor Problems

I just brought home a little used TS 3650. When I looked at it a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't stay running. The thermal cut off switch would shut it down. That greatly effected the asking price. I got it home today and plugged the motor in on a good 20 amp circuit and had it going thru a ampmeter. It ran for awhile and showed it pulling 23 amps and after 3 or 4 minutes it blew the 20 circuit breaker. Are these motors known to have problems? Any idea what the problem might be? It has been in storage for a couple of years but doesn't show alot of rust. I enjoy this forum alot. As a matter of fact it caused me to only look at the Ridgid contractor saws.

Re: TS 3650 Motor Problems

Through the years there have been very few motor problems reported here on any of the Ridgid contractor saws. There's bound to be a bad apple every now and again but historically the motors on the Ridgid contractor table saws have been pretty much trouble free. Sorry to hear you might have a bad one.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you know what an ammeter is, and how to use one, I suspect the below is a bit pointless. I'll try though.

Going back to first principles, there are two things that could be going wrong here: 1. The motor itself is defective. 2. The load is excessive.

If the motor draws in excess of 20A under load and fires the thermal cutout, that suggests to me that that particular component is ok.

After a physical examination to make sure there is no binding (eg remove the belt, see if you can move the blade end components by hand easily), move on to the motor & transmission.

I would try disconnecting the belt and running the motor for a minute or two and measuring the no-load current, just to make sure it doesn't crap out under no load. If sit does, then there's your fault (but beware the motor overspeeding on its own).

Then attach the belt under minimal tension and see how that goes. Increase the tension and see where the cutoff fires.

It may just be crud in the works, but finding it is the problem.

Good luck.

Comment

The centrifugal switch that controls the start and run windings could be stuck in the start position. The motor will draw more amps running on the start windings versus the run windings.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Thank you all for the comments. I have checked the motor with no load on it. I have a amp meter that plugs into the wall socket and then plugged the motor into that. It was pulling 22.9 amps. Is there a simple test to see if the motor is bad or it is stuck on the start windings? Or should I take it to a motor shop to be checked out. This saw worked fine the last time the previous owner used it. Since then it has been moved 2 or 3 times and has been stored in a un heated garage. Other than the motor the saw looks in very good condition. Not much rust on the table. Really looking forward to using it. Also, is there a place you can buy used motors for it?

Comment

storage in unheated space should be no issue. mine's been in an unheated garage for 6 years. craigs list and/or ebay for motors/parts or here:

http://www.m-and-d.com/

good source of parts that are less expensive than going the ridgid eparts direction. good luck.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Probably asking the obvious but, have you checked the motor wiring to be sure it's set for the correct voltage?

Comment

23 Amps is far too high a current draw for the motor on this saw. When you try starting it, does the motor GRRRRRRR loud? Does it actually reach full speed or does it seem like it tries but never makes it? My bet is either it's incorrectly connected, has a bad starting switch (internal part) or bad starting and/or running capacitor(s) which are easy to change on most motors.

Note: The idea of removing the belt and testing the motor is a good test. Please give it a try and report back.

Update: After reading that you did remove the belt and still had far too much current draw, please try the following and report back.

1. With belt off try spinning the motor in both CW and CCW direction by hand. Is it thick and/or hard to rotate by hand?

2. If it turns pretty easy by hand, try starting it and quickly smack the motor case (cylinder part only) with a rubber mallet, but not too hard and do this several times in different areas but not on the wiring areas or end caps. Did smacking it a few times change anything?

3. When you disconnect power does the motor coast to a stop or does it stop fast as within 3 seconds? Do you hear a clicking sound while it comes to a stop?

If you can't fix it easy, please do not leave it connected to power for more than just a few seconds out of 3 minutes or you can burn up the windings.
                You would do well to take it to a motor rewinding and repair shop for checking out. Look in your yellow pages under Electric Motor - Rewinding.
                Unless you have burned out or shorted windings, repair/replacement of the starting switch, replacing both ball bearings or replacing capacitors should cost less than a new motor would. If step 2 doesn't get you anywhere, most likely it needs internal repairs.

Hint: Does the motor smell burnt at all? Did it ever smoke even a little bit?
                Last edited by Woussko; 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you for all the help and comments. Yesterday, I called a local motor shop and they said to bring it in and they would test it and get back to me with a estimate. No charge for that. I should here something today. I will post what the results are. Thanks again for all the tips and advice.

Comment

Good news. The motor repair people just called and said it had them stumped for awhile but ended up tearing in to the capacitor area and on one of them there are some crimped on wire connections. They said one of the wires didn't look like it was making contact at all. I think that was on the run capacitor. They fixed it and charged $38.00. Thanks again for all your interest in my problem

Comment

Just an update on my motor. I got it home and plugged it in with a ampmeter and running without load was about 5.3 amps. When it started it was pulling about 11 amps. Remember when I checked it earlier it was running 23 amps. I asked the motor repair man if running it for awhile at the 23 amps caused any damage to the windings and he said they looked alright. I guess that is my only worry is if there is some long term damage down. By the way it is running on 120 volts

Comment

I just love happy endings!
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          I just love happy endings!
                          I do too and am glad things worked out for you.

Bad capacitors or connections do cause the kind of trouble you were having. Bad connections sometimes drive people about crazy trying to locate them.

Comment

Working...
                          X