Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP 1550 15" drill press

Hello all:

I have been looking at quite a few drill presses to purchase and I was hoping for some advice. I like the Ridgid DP1550. Why should I buy this?

Re: DP 1550 15" drill press

Because you like it. Seriously, if you've done your homework and the specs of the Ridgid DP seem to fill your needs then buy it. For woodworking purposes the Ridgid DP is a very capable machine. On the other hand, if you're planning on doing mostly metal work then you might want to think about one with a little larger motor.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'll echo BD's opinion... I've been using my DP1550 for the last two or three years and really like it. It's great for my woodworking and other home hobbyist requirements. Certainly nothing that I've used it for have taxed it the least little bit.

Fit and finish is very good, as compared to many other DP's that I've looked at and the motor is well fitted for any woodwork that I can imagine.

The only thing that should be noted is that the chuck is mounted with a taper fit. While I think this is common practice, I really don't know. But as such, you cannot use any cutting devices that is not properly balanced, such as a "fly-cutter" (why would you want to, the darn things a bit scary anyway?). Any cutter that is not properly balanced, may cause the chuck to loosen from the taper fit. With the same thought, proper speed for flat-blade cutters also needs to be properly adhered to.

I took the extra step with my 1550 to add a Rockler woodworking table and fence. It adds tremendously to woodworking practices and just makes the tool a real value in the shop.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the help with this. There is so much information out there it can get a little overwhelming.

tgk

Comment

I reviewed this tool on this site some time ago. Go to:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21682

I still use the thing and it continues to work just fine.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

Working...
          X