X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP13000 Thickness Planer

Does anyone know how to remove the brush holder from a TP13000. Brush is stuck in holder, may be melted, can't pull it out so need to remove the brush holder.

Robert,
    Funny you should ask. I have just has some experience with the planer brushes. The brush holder has two ears that fit down into slots. Each ear has a burr on it. I used a narrow flat bladed screw driver to rock the holder until I could just slip it under and lift it out. Of course mine were not "welded" to the frame and I really do not know how that would happen.

Comment

Gene,
      I'm not sure either. While planning a board saw sparks coming from the motor. The one brush I could get out looked fine. But the brush on the on/off swith side seemed to be stuck, when I pull it to remove it the wire broke off. I've order new brushes and holder. Perhaps what you said will make sence when the new parks come.

Comment

Robert,
        I didn't realize that the wire had broken off when I replied. I'm not qualified to speak to that. I do know in theory how an electric motor operates and I know the configuration of the brush assembly in the planer motor and I know what I would try, but someone from Ridgid needs to speak to this one, or you should take it to a service center. BTW, I am having, what I believe to be, brush problems with my planer too, but mine appear to be breaking apart. After you get yours figured out, please email me and let me know what the problem and fix was.

Gene

Comment

Gene & Robert,

Hope you guys let us on the forum here know how it turns out as well.

I gather from your posts that your purchases are recent and coincidences like yours make me curious. I'm particularly interested because I just recently bought the TP1300 myself and set it up just last week. The write-ups that I’ve seen for it have been nothing but good.

I only used mine for a half-hour or so but I was really impressed and pleased as it did a good job planing and the motor sounded real strong. It cut through the wood effortlessly. Good luck.

John

Comment

John,
            I was hoping my brushes would show up yesterday but it was not too happen. Perhaps today. I too purchased the Ridgid planer based upon the write-ups and to a certain extent, my own observations. I believe it to be a good machine and while it worked it proved itself to be. I posted in the other forum topic discussing the planer where I described my problem. Robert's seems to be more serious but then the original problem could be the same. I will post any answers, or at least further experiences, I come up with and I hope Robert will do the same.

Gene

Comment

All: Sorry I haven't posted here in a couple days, been out on the road.

Robert: The brush holder is held in by a small set screw that is threaded into the right end of the motor (the end with the vents) Loosen the set screw and the brush holder should come right out.

Gene: Let me know if you do not see your brushes and I will check on them for you.

One thing to remember is that a thickness planer will have a higher bruch wear rate that other universal motored saws due to the longer duration of which the motor is on and under load.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
                I got my brushes yesterday but will not be able to do anything until Sunday. My wife is dragging me to her Mother's in Arizona. Something about Thanksgiving.

Gene

Comment

I may also have a brush problem. My planner is about 1 1/2 years old, very little use until I just bought 1000' rough cherry. I have run about 40-50' thru and after turning the machine off for a break, it would not turn back on. Power was ok, motor was not hot...waited 15 minutes....nothing....I had to turn the planner drum with a dowel, then all was well again. Could it be a low spot on one of the brushes?..thanks.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: martina ]
                  Keep It Simple

Comment

Working...
                  X