Ridgid 12in Compound Miter Saw belt squeel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 12in Compound Miter Saw belt squeel

Hey guys and gals, I currently own the ridgid 12in sliding compound miter saw and last winter i had to replace the belt on it because the belt had stretched causeing a very high pitch squeeling noise. Just the other day i was triming a bathroom and it started again but after about 6 or 7 cuts I find it stops. Is there anyway that I can prevent this from happening in the future maby by removing the belt when it gets cold outside and I am not goin to use the saw for a long period of time?

Re: Ridgid 12in Compound Miter Saw belt squeel

I have had similar problems when I start the saw. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to determine the reason.

Comment

well i know from experience the squeel is the belt has been steched and is too long but i am interested in finding out was causes the belt to strech in cold weather

Comment

Originally posted by Ibleedorange View Post
        well i know from experience the squeel is the belt has been steched and is too long but i am interested in finding out was causes the belt to strech in cold weather
        If the belt shrinks less then the pulleys in cold weather, that might cause the belt to stretch. If the weather warms up slightly, both belt and pulley would expand, but the belt's already been stretched.

--Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
          If the belt shrinks less then the pulleys in cold weather, that might cause the belt to stretch. If the weather warms up slightly, both belt and pulley would expand, but the belt's already been stretched.

--Jeff
          thanks both my self and the local appliance repair man were trying to figure out why this is but it makes sense as to why it only does it in the cold

Comment

What are the pulleys made of? If both are aluminum, could definately be enough contraction when cold to cause the belt to slip.

Comment

I think it has more to do with the bearings/bushings being cold. You might want to see if you can lube these. Mine will do this when it is real cold, but only a couple of times and then it goes away.
              Dave

Comment

I had this happen to me and I solved the problem by simply tightening the belt. There may be a limit how far one can go with this fix, however.

I wonder if the use of a small dab of automotive-grade belt dressing would solve the problem.

Howard Ferstler

Comment

thank you all !
                  The other day I was talkin to a local appliance repair guy and he also suggested putting soap or belt dressing and thi9s did the trick no more squeal

Comment

We have a few of these around the shop where I work....and they all do it. But these saws are not exposed to cold, they are used in the shop, where it doesn't get below about 55 or so.
                    It is a very annoying squeel though. Do you really think that a simple adjustment will fix it? Since they are not mine, I have never done any kind of maintenence on them, but I would to get rid of the noise

Comment

Working...
                    X