Usings a Speed Square - Rafter Square

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usings a Speed Square - Rafter Square

I have been using a Swanson rafter square “speed square” for doing straight 90 degree cuts. But these silly tools have lots of other lines and markings on it that I did not know how to use (not sure how to mark a 45 degree either (stop laughing you were there once too – remember.)

I bought the Swanson Blue Book at Lowes, but that spoke more to stairs and roofs. I then bought a smaller Johnson Rafter Square (does not have all the neat features of the Swanson) but they offer a great on line manual that shows newbies like me and pros like you how to get the most out of the tool. The link is http://www.johnsonlevel.com//jl/pdf/...e%20Manual.pdf – you can download or you can purchase the book . Also you can see several videos on www.youtube.com. and this video too http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/hotpr...productid=1595
    Harold
    Last edited by haroldt101; 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM.

Re: Usings a Speed Square - Rafter Square

And just what is it you sell?

Comment

Major Appliances - how many would you like

Comment

I am in the market for a new side by side fridge/freezer. do you deliver?

Comment

Harold, I had a speed square with no instructions and bought one of those Swanson's that came with the instruction book since I was framing a storage shed. Not having ever really framed before it was a great help with marking the rafter angles and particularly the birdsmouth cuts.

Comment

many thanks to harold for the link to an extremely useful document. even though i have a few of the booklets that come with craftsman and swanson speed squares, the linked document provides a great many answers to many of the questions i've had about other uses for these squares, other than the obvious home repair type things. thanks again for the link.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Also thanks for the extremhowto link...lot of useful stuff there.

Comment

haroldt101...any idea what happened to the great speed square link. tried it this am and came back unavailable. i wanted to print it; i've ben looking for somehting like that for some time.

Comment

They moved it....

http://www.johnsonlevel.com/levels/p...e%20Manual.pdf

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X