Adjusting tracking on Drum Sander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting tracking on Drum Sander

I am having a problem with the feeder belt on my Jet 16-32 drum sander. Every time I use it the belt always drifts to my left (if you are facing the front of the machine where the wood enters the drum). Based on this I am not sure if I need to tighten or loosen the nuts and not sure which side to adjust. The manual says what to do in this case but I am not having any luck, could be that I am not clearly understanding which side to adjust and how.

I am looking for some advice on how to set the tracking of the feeder belt. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Adjusting tracking on Drum Sander

the below is from a web add, as well as the picture, http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/j1632rvu.html
    Talented Conveyor

The conveyor probably won't need much adjusting but when it does, the mechanism is easy to use.

Even the conveyor belt was given special attention. In addition to being remarkably tough and virtually slip-free, the mechanics of the conveyor make using it easier. Simple tension adjusters on the outer edges of the conveyor table have captured wrenches that make them essentially tool free. Adjusting conveyor belt is easy but this will not be a frequent task. Adjusting the belt tensions may be necessary when it stretches but that is about it.

JET designed special belt Trackers™ that keep the belt running straight in most cases. These ceramic pieces are hidden below the table but seem to do a very good job. Once tracking is set initially you can concentrate on sanding, not correcting the belt setup.

NOTE: the picture is Figure 22

IT appears to loosen the two screws and lengthen or lessen the bearing holder just a touch then when running true tighten it back up, page 16 of the manual (I do not have the machine, but it may be the bracket will slide with out loosing the screws. you should be able to see if they need to be loosened or not reasonable easily).

Conveyor Belt Tension/Tracking
    Conveyor belt tension and tracking adjustments
    may occasionally be necessary during break-in
    and normal operation to compensate for belt
    stretching.
    IMPORTANT: The conveyor belt has been overtensioned
    for shipping purposes. It must be retensioned
    before operating the sander.
    Belt Tension: To adjust the tension of the
    conveyor belt, first adjust the take-up screw nut
    (Figure 22) on both sides of the conveyor to
    obtain approximately equal tension on both
    sides of the belt when taut.
    Insufficient belt tension will cause slippage of
    conveyor belt on the drive roller during sanding
    operation. The conveyor belt is too loose if it can
    be stopped by hand pressure applied directly to
    the top of the conveyor belt.
    Excessive belt tension can cause tracking
    problems and result in bent rollers, bent take-up
    brackets, and premature wearing of the bronze
    roller bearings or conveyor belt.
    Belt Tracking: Adjustments to tracking are
    made while the conveyor belt is running. After
    the proper belt tension has been achieved, turn
    on the conveyor unit and set it at the fastest
    speed setting. Watch for a tendency of the
    conveyor belt to drift to one side of the
    conveyor. If there is drifting, tighten the take-up
    screw nut (Figure 22) on the side toward which
    the belt is drifting, and loosen the take-up screw
    nut on the opposite side. NOTE: Adjust the takeup
    screw nuts only 1/4 turn at a time. Then allow
    time for the belt to react to the adjustments
    before proceeding further. Try to avoid overadjustments.
    http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/man_629004K.pdf

NOTE: Adjust the takeup
    screw nuts only 1/4 turn at a time. Then allow
    time for the belt to react to the adjustments
    before proceeding further.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you either need to lengthen the side it is drifting to or shorten the side it is drifting away from, but it may be over tensioned if it was not properly adjusted from shipping according to the manual,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 11-07-2009, 10:18 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD. Maybe I am overtensioning it when I first set it.

Comment

Hello guys. I'm am having the same tracking problem with the same machine. I've talked to Jet and they said to reverse the belt. It's still tracking hard left as before. I'm extremely familiar with these types of tracking adjustments and it's still not working. The machine is only 3 days old. I noticed this thread is a few months old. PEZ did you get the problem figured out, because I'm drawing a blank....

Will

Comment

the belt could be stretched or mis manufactured, if you have a spare belt try it,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            the belt could be stretched or mis manufactured, if you have a spare belt try it,
            +1 on this idea.

Red
            Red

Comment

Working...
            X