New handtool from Black & Decker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New handtool from Black & Decker

Today at Home Depot was Customer Appreciation Day - lots of vendors setup out side with giveaways and demos. The first Saturday of every month, btw, is a free DIY project for kids (not sure if they do this at every HD, but many in Atlanta do it). Today they built a trivvet for hot pots/drinks to sit on.

Anyway, at one of the booths, the Black & Decker, they had the most awesome handtool I'd seen all day - a very heavy, rock solid handle, about the size of a standard hammer's handle... on both ends, set on click-rotary wheels were various metric and standard sizes of sockets.

Doesn't sound like much, but I played with it and used it on some sample items they had. No price - coming out soon, they said - but I'd buy two. Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but it was outstanding.

It's called the Ready Wrench and this is all I've found so far:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/sneakpeek/default.aspx

What do you think? It feels very solid and the rotary sockets are heavy duty...

Jim

Re: New handtool from Black & Decker

Saw one of those at a bike forum I go to......they claim 16 size's.Guess they count metric and standard,but a handy tool just the same.
    Last edited by IamVince; 11-07-2009, 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling lol

Comment

Name:  951794005da361f2e7a07c180b600968.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  32.2 KB

Craftsman has a similar new "Dog Bone" hand tool

Looks handy but could be bulky to use in some situations

Comment

The B&D didn't feel bulky at all... and I sure would love to find a replacement to carrying around a case of sockets.

Thanks for the news about Craftsman's version - will have to take a look.

Hey, RIDGID - anything similar in the works?

Jim

Comment

Just came back from Lowes. They have them on display and in stock. $29.95.

Comment

I was visiting my parents and Dad and I saw one in Walmart. It looks to be garbage. Dad liked it so I will get him one for Christmas since he hardly uses his tools.

I went to use the B&D power adjustable wrench I bought him two years ago and it wouldn't work. I took it apart and discovered the little hard rubber band which turns the gears had snapped. It is near useless as a manual adjusting wrench.

Like I said, he almost never uses his tools anymore, I just get him whatever he thinks is "neat". Last year I bought "him" a Makita lithium set to use for the small projects I do for them when I visit. The other stuff I just get by with.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
              I was visiting my parents and Dad and I saw one in Walmart. It looks to be garbage. Dad liked it so I will get him one for Christmas since he hardly uses his tools.

I went to use the B&D power adjustable wrench I bought him two years ago and it wouldn't work. I took it apart and discovered the little hard rubber band which turns the gears had snapped. It is near useless as a manual adjusting wrench.

Like I said, he almost never uses his tools anymore, I just get him whatever he thinks is "neat". Last year I bought "him" a Makita lithium set to use for the small projects I do for them when I visit. The other stuff I just get by with.

Ern
              Sorry to argue with you, but the black&decker wrench I held didn't look or feel like garbage... it was very solid feeling and when I used it on test pieces they had sitting around, I felt no give or looseness in any of the moving parts.

Comment

I see this tool as more of an alternative to a combination wrench than a socket set. With no ratcheting action, a socket wrench certainly would be faster to use than this tool. Quite honestly to me it's just another gimmick tool that seems like it might be useful but probably wouldn't be in the long run.
                ================================================== ====
                ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

These tools are older than dirt and have been around for a long while, so long ago was the last incarnation introduced that almost no one remembers it.

It's a compromise tool like any other multi-purpose tool.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

GREAT NEW TOOL that B&D invented. Never dreamed anything so great could be produced. I guess I'll throw my old tool set in the garbage and buy one of these inovative new Black and Decker creations. Anyone want a slightly used tool set before I pitch it out.
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                      Now thats a BONER

Comment

I agree that without a ratcheting head this will not be convenient to use.

Even if it DID ratchet, these one-size-fits-all tools generally are of limited usefullness because the heads are just too large to fit into places designed for socket access (yes, engineers DO design things to fit standard tools - wrench clearance charts are in engineering handbooks!!).

Gotta wonder what is the real advantage to these gizmos. A socket rack and a ratchet doesn't take up much space and will pretty much always work. Coming from the auto business, you have a selection of different ratchets, breaker bars, torque wrenches and then your sockets, 6 point, 12 point, 8 point, short, intermediate, and deep. Add some extensions, a wobble, a flexible extension, maybe a U-joint... and you can mix and match to thousands of combinations and do about anything. With this thing, you best hope it fits. Odds are it won't. It's just not versatile or flexible enough to justify itself IMO.

As an aside, the one "novelty" tool that I really do use is the Gearwrench ratcheting box end. These are, I think, all still patent-protected so the Craftsman, Blue Point (SnapOn) and Blackhawk (MAC) are all licensed from Gearwrench. I have metric & standard Blackhawks I got off the MAC truck years ago when they first came out --with the flex head, which IMO is absolutely the way to go. I reach for these 80% of the time, now... I'm sure the Snap On and Proto sets are not happy. But of course if you need to lay on the wrench hard you still go for the regular box end. Gearwrench works where other ratcheting box ends don't because the head isn't much larger than a standard box end and usually (not always) fits where a box end fits. These have become a must for automotive work.
                        Last edited by Andy_M; 02-14-2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I'm with Andy M on this one. The last "new featured" wrench that I found useful was the ratcheting box end wrenches. My main concerns are getting to the bolt/nut and making sure it doesn't round off the head due to misalignment or low quality. And it better be stronger than my ability to crank on it, because I know from experience that busting your knuckles when a tool breaks is no fun.

Having to grab a different wrench for a different sized bolt/nut just isn't a problem that I find myself needing to solve, other than having a handy tray to set one size on while I grab the other one.

Comment

Working...
                          X