X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Dust Collector

So I've searched high and low and haven't found anyone who has done this. I was just given a 5HP/12gal RIDGID shop vac and I want to build a 2stage collector. I'm going to use a 30gal trash can to collect the majority of the wood shavings/sawdust.

My plan was to run the hose from the shopvac into the lid of the trash can and another hose from the trash can to the tool - just like most people do. Here's my question... since my R4511 uses a 4" dust port could I punch a second 2.5" in the side of the shopvac and run another hose into the trash can lid. Then I could run a 4" hose coming out of the trash can into the tool. Make sense.... clear as mud?

I know there is no gain to enlarge the 2.5" hose on the shop vac to 4" but what if there's two 2.5" hoses coming out of the shop vac and then running to a 4" hose. Do you think it will flow?

Thanks in advance!
    Brandon
    I bleed RIDGID orange...

Re: Homemade Dust Collector

A picture is worth 1,000 words...
    Attached Files
    I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

They make one for a shop vac here is a link to Rocklers site and the item
      http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1515

Comment

Your vac motor/suction fan can only pull so many Cubic Foot of air, and it is sized to keep a certain flow of air passing through the 2.5" hose to keep a workable velocity (air speed), up to move the dust, chips, etc, down the hose, by doubling or using a larger hose (you only have so much air moving) the speed or velocity of the air will slow and will not pull the dust or chips in the air stream,

actually reducing the 4" hose to 2.5" will probably benefit you the most, (the hose from the tool to the dust collector),

the cross section of a 4" hose is close to 3 times the size of the 2.5 hose, to keep the air stream moving to the equivalent of the vacuum in the 4" one would need three vacuums running to match the velocity of the vac in the 4" line.

If you notice the manufactured trash can lid separator units have equal sized openings in them,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and the truth of the horse power rating on the vacuum, is grossly over stated, If you can run that Vac on a 15 amp out let, which I am sure you can, the Hp is less than 2 hp, , the current model http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WD1670-1...c/EN/index.htm unit says it pulls 12 amps, or that is about 1400 watts,
        A horsepower is a unit of power equal to 746 watts http://www.elec-toolbox.com/Formulas/Motor/mtrform.htm
        the Horse power, with out over load on that unit is less than 2 hp, closer to 1.75 hp when running.
        Last edited by BHD; 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Google 'Thien baffle' and 'bill Pence' for some ideas. The Thien baffle may well be a better and less expensive option.

Dust collection is not the same as chip collection. There are a few principles that can not be ignored if effective dust collection is the goal.

The single most important principle is to capture the dust at the point of creation. On a table saw this means a collection point above the blade as well as under the blade. Hybrids and cabinet saws make under blade collection a simple matter. Over the blade may require a little more thought. However, without a collection point above the blade the saw will simply eject the fines into the air. And it is the fines you want/need to capture.

DC requires high CFMs. Shop vacs can not produce the CFMs you need for effective DC.

Comment

+1 on the previous post. check out this site:

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

then follow the link to the forum associated with the thien baffle. all the info you could ever want to do what you are trying to do, only cheaper and better. HTH. good luck
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for the links guys!

Looks like I'll be going that route. I've got to do something to cut down on the sawdust - it's killing me.

Brandon
              I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

This is what I use for my R4511. I have a reducer on the saw that I connect the hose to. I also use this setup for my planer which has a similar 4" to 2.5" reducer.
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow - That's the same vac I have and the same setup I want to build plus I want to put it in the same place right next to the garage door. I don't have alot of real estate to play with so I want to build a vertical setup like yours.

THANKS!
                  Brandon
                  I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

It has worked out great for my small shop. I have it on some casters as well so I can wheel it around to the different machines I'm using.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm just now getting into to this woodworking stuff and my wife and I are setting up the work shop. I also just got my radial arm saw (1967 B&D Dewalt 1350) set up. First time I turning it on and cut the kerf into the sacrificial table, I blow saw dust into an open drawer in my tool box. I look at my wife and said "I think a dust collector might be a good idea."

This discussion was very timely - I'll show it to da little women.

Harold

Comment

Here's an idea for a larger scale DIY two-stage dust collector that someone built.

http://www.dewalt.com/Blogs/post/200...Collector.aspx
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X