Poised to bring home a new 2424...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poised to bring home a new 2424...

Jake, I'm cleared by the one who counts to get a TS 2424, and I'm pretty excited.

Some very significant factors for me have been the owner's manual online (Dave Arbuckle pointed me to that from another forum, which is how I found this discussion group), the supportive responses and ready flow of information and guidance about the saw, and the forthright treatment of capabilities and the equipment's specifications and limitations. I have very limited experience in woodworking, and even less with stationary tools, so it helps my "comfort level" to see all the feedback here.

There are two or three things I haven't clearly resolved from looking at previous posts and answers.

Dado type - for example, Home Depot has a Freud 8" dado set that looks pretty good, far as I can tell, but the insert now included says its a 7" insert. Will the TS 2424 handle a 8" dado set (especially that Freud set with the chippers)?

Blade limits - Must I use "Thin Kerf" blades, or will the saw handle 1/8" kerf blades OK?

If 1 1/2 hp turns out to be too little in the future, would I be able to install a 3 hp motor? Would it be easy to do that?

Will it help (especially with this dado and heavier blade stuff) to convert the motor to 240 v operation? If I do that, will the saw still operate as smoothly?

Thanks for the information and your patience. Dave, if you read this, thanks for the heads-up.

Joe

You're welcome, Joe. Hope you don't mind my swinging at a couple of these questions?

My TS2424 fits an 8" dado. If I recall correctly, there is some circumstance (like full wide dado, tilted 45 degrees) that would cause the dado to strike the insert. The answer is, of course, that you check for interference before powering the machine on.

I bought in to the thin-kerf blade thing too. Just replaced my last one last weekend. I now run a Leitz 1/8" rip blade, and a Systimatic 1/8"+5 thou crosscut. I'm a lot happier with the standard width performance than with thin. I cannot address general purpose blade performance, because I don't like them.

Dave

Comment

Let me add a few cents to Dave's comments on blades. I too have a TS2424 and I run standard size blades as well. I did a lot of research all the way to talking at length with the folks at Freud, the maker of the blades I use. According to them the Thin Kerf technology has advanced quite a bit at their TK blades are a high quality product. But, when I told them I was running a 1.5 HP contractor style saw, he stated that I would have no problem running standard blades until the stock I was cutting was thick hardwood. He then went on to say that although their TK blades are great, their standard width LU series blade was a much better product. I use 4 different blades with my TS2424 based on the cut. They are a combination, ripping, ultimate crosscut, and a laminate blade. All are red teflon coated and I must say they are awesome and I have no trouble cutting until my workpiece gets larger than 8/4. The Freud LU blades get the highest marks from me! Hope that helps!
      - Tim

Comment

Oh, let me add...on the dado issue. The TS2424 will accomodate up to an 8 inch dado set. Ridgid sells 2 inserts for the TS24XX series of saws; a 7" and 8". I use a Freud 8" Super Dado and the 8" insert. I will admit though, never do I dado so deep as to need the blade so high that the size of the dado matters. For most cuts the 7" insert will provide a little better support but as always needs to be checked for clearance. The best bet for support and minimal tearout is a zero clearance insert but I don't use them with a dado cutter because I'd need too many of them for all the varying widths of the cutter. I do use the zero clearance inserts with all my other blades. Good Luck!
        - Tim

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shelton:
          Jake, I'm cleared by the one who counts to get a TS 2424, and I'm pretty excited.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Good to hear and welcome to RIDGID...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...so it helps my "comfort level" to see all the feedback here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Thats what we're here for

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Will the TS 2424 handle a 8" dado set (especially that Freud set with the chippers)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          It should have no problem with an 8" dado. Though some people will tell you that you should only use 6" dados on contractor saw and save the 8" for a cabinet saw, but as long as you are not trying to take a massive cut the TS2424 will have no problems pushing the 8" dado.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Blade limits - Must I use "Thin Kerf" blades, or will the saw handle 1/8" kerf blades OK?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Standard blade will work just fine and recommend thats the size you use unless you have a specfic need for a thin kerf, ie cutting extremely expensive material.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If 1 1/2 hp turns out to be too little in the future, would I be able to install a 3 hp motor? Would it be easy to do that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          The motor is a standard NEMA frame so you could mount a larger motor on it, but I do not recommend it. The extra weight of a 3 horse motor would put a signifigant amount of strain on the carriage and table, and would most likely cause a warped table over time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Will it help (especially with this dado and heavier blade stuff) to convert the motor to 240 v operation? If I do that, will the saw still operate as smoothly?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
          I would recommend converting the 240 if you have that capabilty. Though it will not produce any more power, the motor will run cooler and spool up faster, which in turn makes the motor last longer.

Hope this answers all your questions. If you have any more let me know.

Jake

Comment

Yo, dudes! Dave, Tim, Jake: Thanks for your responses.

I just got home with the saw, and I'm tickled.

Unfortunately, I have to finish a tile installation before I can even start assembling the saw, but I still feel like I've now joined the community of real woodworkers.

When I finish grouting tile, I'll be back with all sorts of rookie questions.

Thanks again.

JS

Comment

Working...
            X