X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged R4511 - Depot tells me I have to bring it back

I bought the R4511 a couple of weeks ago. I sat in the back of my van while I rearranged my shop. Finally got around to uncrating it this past weekend.

The trunnions are mounted to the cabinet but the arbor/motor unit fell off the trunnions and the height adjuster rod skewed upward bending the front panel of the cabinet.

Just spoke with Depot and they tell me I have to load this all back up and bring it back to exchange it.

I broke it down and carried it in by myself and really would prefer to not have to reload it by myself and turn around and unload another one. The idea that this unit is a great deal is slowly beginning to diminish if it is going to require this much effort on my part to get a functional, working unit.

Anyone have experience trying to exchange a large tool with Depot? Is there a way to get them to bring me a replacement unit and do the exchange in the field, so to speak?

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

Re: Damaged R4511 - Depot tells me I have to bring it back

It's normal SOP to have to return a defective or damaged product back to the place of purchase. Why would this case be any different? Is it a hassle? Sure it is but so is having to return anything you buy.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

assuming the weights of the damaged pieces are manageable, why not bring only the damaged part back to HD. if they won't swap out the damaged part with an undamaged part from another saw, i'd do this: buy another saw. in the parking lot, swap the damaged part for the undamaged part. return the just purchased saw, now containig the damaged part, to HD. return home with undamaged part, assemble saw and enjoy what is reported to be a very good tool.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

BadgerDave - Thanks.
        Last edited by SpiffPeters; 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

FINER9998 - They want everything back, including the fully assembled base. Were I just returning a defective hand power tool it wouldn't be a big thing. But having to reload all this stuff by myself is more than inconvenient.

Suffice to say it appears that will be my only option.

Comment

When my arbor shaft broke I had to return to everything. Just part of the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Southwood View Post
              When my arbor shaft broke I had to return to everything. Just part of the hassle.
              I haven't gotten mine assembled (it's been weeks) but I still don't understand why you can't buy it, replace the part and then return it just as Finer9988 suggested? How would they even know?

Comment

SpiffPeters....returning the entire saw is exactly what i suggested in the second sentence of my first post, only not in the manner they want you to do it. buy an undamaged saw and, rahther than lug it home, just swap out the damaged part in the parking lot. you never have to take the new saw off whatever rolling device they load it onto for you. once the damaged part is in the box you just purhcased, roll the cart and saw back to the returns counter and credit the saw back to your account. you are left with a new version of the damaged part without having to drag all of the undamaged parts of the original saw back to HD. isn't that easier than returning the entire original saw? just my $.02.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Well, I don't want to 'buy' a second unit. And even more importantly, the arbor/motor unit is completely off the trunnions.

I'll just have to load it all back up and do this all over again. Good thing I didn't have to pay for a home delivery. I'd really be stuck without a way to get it back to the store.

Comment

Did you speak with the manager about the problem? Maybe he would be at least be willing to split the pick up and delivery charge, and bring you a new saw and take away the old one.

Different situation, but I had one that was recalled and the manager really had no idea how heavy the unit was. When I told him he was happy to send a truck and swap them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
                      Did you speak with the manager about the problem? Maybe he would be at least be willing to split the pick up and delivery charge, and bring you a new saw and take away the old one.

Different situation, but I had one that was recalled and the manager really had no idea how heavy the unit was. When I told him he was happy to send a truck and swap them out.

+1 for this idea... It was not your fault the saw was damaged. Talk to the manager and insist they bring a new saw and swap it out for the damaged one. Something as heavy as this is not a simple, roll up to the return desk, type return.

Comment

I had a jointer with a bad bed assembly. I called them and they said to bring in the damaged part and they would replace it out of a differrent box. I did so and brought the new piece back and everything worked out fine. I would contact the manager too and work something out. A 150 pound jointer bed is one thing. A 550 pound table saw is a whole other story.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post

Excellent idea. Being in the fog of a defective power tool has prevented me from exploring all the angles.

Splitting the cost of delivery/pickup seems a reasonable proposition. Certainly worth it to me. Convincing a manager may be another matter but a worthy pursuit none the less.

And I do hope no one is interpreting anything in this thread as a knock against Depot or Ridgid. This unit was obviously damaged in shipping and would have been virtually undetectable until the unit was uncrated.
                          Last edited by SpiffPeters; 11-12-2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I would first ask them to pick-up and swap it out at no cost to you. Again, none of this is your fault, and HD should take the position of following up with good customer service.

Comment

An alternative is to call Ridigid with the list of part numbers you need to replace. They'll show up at your doorstep in a few days and you can install them at your convenience.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X