Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting a new band saw

Hi everyone,
    I was seriously looking at the Ridgid bandsaw (I already own a few Ridgid tools and I am very satisfied with them) but after all the talk about Ridgid and Ryobi, I do not know anymore. I am now looking at the Grizzly G0555 band saw. I was wondering if someone has any experience with it and compare it with the Ridgid. Thanks.

The Griz G0555 is a much more recent model having only been on the market for a couple of months. Receiving very good reviews on the Woodnet forum. Regardless of the Ridgid/Ryobi situation the Griz differences would make me go with it if I had to make the choice today:

2 speeds, 4" dust port, 1HP motor, quick blade tensioner/detensioner, blade roller guide bearings and comes with fence as standard.

David

Comment

Maurice,

I have the Grizzly G0555 bandsaw. Took a while for it to ship, I was one of the unlucky ones that ordered early and had to wait for their production to catch up with their orders. I believe that problem has been corrected.

It's a GREAT saw for the money. I installed the 6" riser and ordered 105" Timberwolf blades and this baby resaws Oak and Maple like a hot knife through butter.

I couldn't be happier with this machine. The packaging/set-up was great. Dust collection works very well through the 4" port and the quick tension release mechanism is very convenient.

All in all, a super value.

I can't compare it to the RIDGID though, because the new RIDGID saw wasn't out yet when I purchased the Griz so I never had the opportunity to compare the two.

Comment

dadman, I've always been curious how shipping is handled by Grizzly on such large items. I know it must be delivered by freight truck. I have also heard that many of them DO NOT unload the cargo.

Can you specify that you want it delivered by a truck with a lift gate? Like most people, I have to work for a living. Can you arrange a convienient delivery time?
        Mark

Comment

I have the G0555 and love it. I can't imagine a better saw for the money.

As for how shipping is handled, Grizzly will call you to schedule a shipping date or, if you prefer, you can pick it up at your local shipping facility. I have had two things shipped and both times the driver helped me unload.

Comment

Maurice

I bought the 0555 approximately a month ago, ordered it on a Thursday evening, shipped Friday, received a call Monday from Grizzly that the truck was involved in an accident and 18 tools had to be returned to the warehouse (mine included). They shipped a new one out Tuesday and it arrived Friday. I was fortunate enough to have an excellent driver; he unloaded it, put it on a dolly and wheeled it up to my garage without my even asking for assistance. The saw has seen limited use thus far but I’m rather impressed with it, I somewhat expected to find some inferior workmanship and/or materials considering all the features for the price. I just received an assortment of Timberwolf blades so I’m anxious to load one up and see if the difference is as notable as advertised. Good luck with your search, I have no regrets.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I'll be ordering the Grizzly. I will miss the lifetime warranty from Rigid though.

Comment

If you live in Washington and order from Grizzly, they ship using Oak Harbor Freight. This company uses liftgate trucks and can deliver to the ground.

Frank

Comment

Boy, after reading all the latest posts with the warranty problems, I am glad I purchased the Grizzly G0555 bandsaw instead of the Rigdid. I hesitated for while but after receiving it and assembling it, I do not think you can get a better saw for the price ($430 delivered to my door and no sales tax). I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. This is a great tool.

Comment

I bought the Delta 28-276 and it has many of the features that the Grizzly has. 4" DC port, quick tension release. It didn't have a fence or miter gauge though and it has a 3/4 horse motor that comes wired for 110V but can be changed to 220V. It doesn't have the bearing guides, but I installed cool blocks and a fasttrack fence and I love the saw. I only paid $399.00 and I didn't have to deal with shipping. I was going to buy the Ridgid, but the saw that was on display was not too encouraging. I grabbed a straight edge to check the wheel alignment because it looked to be off by a large amount and it wasn't co-planer. The top wheel was out by almost a full ¼".

Comment

Working...
                    X