TS3650 Disassembly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Disassembly

Hey all. I am looking at purchasing a 3650 but I know it is a bear of a saw. That is why I am asking how hard would it be to disassemble a little to make it easier to lift into the back of my truck.

Also I would appreciate any tips or suggestions on common things to look for on a used 3650. I believe it is around 2 yrs old.

Thanks in advance

Re: TS3650 Disassembly

When I bought mine it took about 15-20 minutes to remove the motor,the fence and rails, and remove the base from the legs. Loaded it all into the back of my Scion XB and drove it home. Good Luck, Pat

Comment

I disassembled mine for some reason (don't remember why) and the process is not very time consuming. I'd say 15 to 20 minutes at the most.

For safety reasons do not just unbolt and separate the main table from the base!!!

I recommend the following sequence:remove the rails
      • remove the motor
      • remove table wings
      • remove crank wheels.
      • remove herculift mobile base
      • remove the blade (if any)
      • turn the remainder (base and main table still bolted together) upside down. You may need help as they are heavy. Using a piece of plywood will save the table top from nicks and scratches.
      Only then unbolt the base from the main table.

When you get to your shop, do not try to put the saw on top of the base. Instead, place the main table assembly on the floor with the table down and then attach the base to it. You will have an upside down table saw. Now you're ready to stand it on its feet and complete the assembly process. I did it on my own, but some help would be great.

Trying to stand the base in its final position and then trying to place the main table assembly on top of the base is very dangerous. I did just that and I was very lucky none of my bones were broken and only the base suffered deep scratches. The thing is that the base will not keep its intended shape without being tied at its top to the bottom of the main table assembly. Because of that, and considering the weight of the main table assembly, it is very difficult to place that weight on top of the base without causing it to swing out of alignment and loosing it load bearing ability.
      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I concur, a well thought out and safe method of disassembling and reassembling the 3650.

Only thing I would add is take a 2x4 or similar piece of wood about 36" long and place it at the floor behind the back legs and use two c-clamps to clamp it to the legs. Then tip the saw to the back (pivoting on the braced legs) to begin to lower the saw onto its back. Then continue as below to invert the saw onto its top in preparation for removing the base.

Clamping the 2x4 onto the back legs will stiffen the legs which are not designed for lateral loading AND also widen the base to prevent the saw from getting away from you and tipping over to the side as you lower it to the ground. Most CI topped table saws have a high center of gravity, widening the base will lower the CG making it safer to move.

Originally posted by darius View Post
        I disassembled mine for some reason (don't remember why) and the process is not very time consuming. I'd say 15 to 20 minutes at the most.

For safety reasons do not just unbolt and separate the main table from the base!!!

I recommend the following sequence:
        • remove the fence
        • remove the fence rails
        • remove the motor
        • remove table wings
        • remove crank wheels.
        • remove herculift mobile base
        • remove the blade (if any)
        • Brace legs (see above comments)
        • turn the remainder (base and main table still bolted together) upside down. You may need help as they are heavy. Using a piece of plywood will save the table top from nicks and scratches.
        Only then unbolt the base from the main table.

When you get to your shop, do not try to put the saw on top of the base. Instead, place the main table assembly on the floor with the table down and then attach the base to it. You will have an upside down table saw. Now you're ready to stand it on its feet and complete the assembly process. I did it on my own, but some help would be great.

Trying to stand the base in its final position and then trying to place the main table assembly on top of the base is very dangerous. I did just that and I was very lucky none of my bones were broken and only the base suffered deep scratches. The thing is that the base will not keep its intended shape without being tied at its top to the bottom of the main table assembly. Because of that, and considering the weight of the main table assembly, it is very difficult to place that weight on top of the base without causing it to swing out of alignment and loosing it load bearing ability.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 11-14-2009, 08:51 AM.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks alot guys! Hopefully the saw is in as described condition and I make the purchase.

Comment

Check that the saw is complete:

Herculift
            Yellow plastic safety insert for key
            Spacer bar for extreme right hand side of table
            Blade
            Splitter/blade guard (& thumbscrew)
            Rip fence
            Miter gauge
            Throat plate
            Arbor wrenches x2

To check for:

Whether it was part of the arbor recall & if so, was the work done? If it wasn't, is it important to you?
            Damage/pitting to the top
            Full extent of travel on blade height & bevel
            Check the rip fence glides along the full extent of the rails, this should give you some indication of whether the rails are straight.

Don't worry too much if it needs adjustment, this is all covered in the manual.

I was going to buy one off Craigslist a month or so ago, and posted a similar question. In the end I decided that the difference between the $250 I had in mind for the used one and the price I could get a new 4511 for after promotions, was too small to warrant taking on the risk of the used saw vs the peace of mind of a warranty (notwithstanding the 3650 vs 4511 debate).

Comment

Working...
            X