X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Wood

I used my TS2424 yesterday to rip a long 1x6 piece of poplar into 1.5 inch strips. This is the first time I have used the saw for this purpose and was very disappointed because the wood burnt terribly. I made sure that the fence was parallel to the blade, fed the wood as fast as the blade would let me, and tried it with and without a feather board. No luck.

I have only had the saw for a few months and have used it very little, so I doubt that I have worn the blade down. Is it possible I got a bum blade?

I have had nothing but great things to say about this saw so far so I hope that this can be resolved.

GW,
    There are a couple of reasons that the would can burn. The first you have already thought of, that the fence is parallel to the blade. I actually have mine open .001" at the back side to help with this. The other things to check are, 1. is the splitter lined up with the blade, and 2. is there a build up of pitc h etc on the blade. If there is not enough clearance on the trailing edge of the tip, you can get burning. Also, are you using the original blade? While it is usable, it is not the best blade for finish type work. If you have not already replaced it, you will want to. Look for a good Freud, or if you can swallow the cost a Forrest.

-Rob
    -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Green,

All I can really say is alignment, alignment, alignment. I would go back and check the alignment per the instructions. Make sure the blade is perfectly parallel to the miter slot, and then square the fence to that slot. This will allow you more precision than just bringing the fence up next to the blade and squaring it that way.

Although there is a chance that it is the blade, I really doubt it. If you have another 10" blade in your shop, try that, just to see if there is a difference.

Jake

Comment

Where did the wood burn, fence side, offcut side, or both? This will give valuable information on the cause of the burn.

Rob and Jake gave great possibilities. I'll hit a couple of the oddballs.

Blade isn't on backward, is it? No offense, but I know people it has happened to. If you discover this is the cause, it is acceptable to say you realigned the fence to fix the problem.

Are you running on a long extension cord? Insufficient power will give you all kinds of trouble, including burning.

The stock blade is actually pretty good, but it's still a combination blade, a compromise that isn't particularly good at anything. For 25 or 30 bucks at the home improvement center, you can get a thin kerf Freud 24 tooth ripping blade, that will always outperform the combo in ripping.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses!

Dave, I'm glad you asked which side because it only burned the fence side. The waste cut side was fine which I thought was odd. Also, you must know me since you thought to ask if I had the blade on backwards While it's a good question, I do have it on right. How can an extension cord cause burning?

I am anxious to go home and verify that my splitter is aligned. This seems like a possiblity.

The odd thing is that I can rip short pieces with no problem. It only happened with these 6 ft pieces.

Comment

Five will get you ten, your fence is closed (closer at back than front), or your splitter is too far to the right.

How can an extension do that? Too small or too long an extension will cause a voltage drop, reducing power to the motor. With reduced power, the blade slows down easier. To combat that, you must feed slower. Slow feed equals burning.

For the ultimate strange thing to check, be certain the fence itself isn't bent. A concave fence face does the same thing as a closed fence.

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X