X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Table Saw

Finally decided to replace my very old Craftsman 9" table saw. After reading lots of opinions in many fourums, it looks like that the TS3650 and R4511 are good saws at a reasonable price. I am leaning toward the TS3650 because I am not sold on granite. We have granite surfaces in our kitchen and they are more care than you would think, i.e. periodically sealed, ect. Is HD the only supplier??
    Thanks

Re: New Table Saw

Welcome Paul.

The 3650 was discontinued in favor of the 3660 (which is so close to the 3650 that they are often referred to as the 3650/60). The 3660, in turn, has been replaced with the R4511. In short, you will not be able to find a new 3660 (or 3650). Or to put it another way, there may be one or two left in a dusty corner of a store in the back of beyond, but finding it will be a difficult task.

There are rumors of the demise of the R4511 too.

At present, the 4511 is available from universal store stock, and is priced at $499 (previously $599). There is also a Ridgid promotion in play at present that would give you 15% off that (more if you cross the $500 threshhold).

In theory, Ridgid power tools are only carried by HD. However, also in theory, any Ridgid dealer, (eg the ones carrying the plumbing tools) should be able to order a one-off. However, finding one that is willing to do so may also be a challenge.

HD staff vary of course, but my local ones don't ask (m)any questions on returns, and are happy to help. I'm not sure this would be the case at a professional tool store, asking them to special order a consumer "toy".

Horses for courses, in my opinion. It's a consumer saw, best purchased at a consumer store. HD don't carry Powermatics, and even if they did, maybe it wouldn't be the best place to buy that level of saw.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulM View Post
      Finally decided to replace my very old Craftsman 9" table saw. After reading lots of opinions in many fourums, it looks like that the TS3650 and R4511 are good saws at a reasonable price. I am leaning toward the TS3650 because I am not sold on granite. We have granite surfaces in our kitchen and they are more care than you would think, i.e. periodically sealed, ect. Is HD the only supplier??
      Thanks
      Your saw top doesn't have to be sealed and in theory takes less up keep than a cast iron top. I love my R4511, the granite top is no problem at all, just an occasional waxing to keep it super slick, and the added weight keeps down vibration. As far as durability goes, don't do anything you wouldn't do on a CI top and you'll be fine. Anything most complain about with this saw is an error in the set-up or a complete lack of care.

It is no Powermatic, but it also isn't a $2500 saw. For the features and quality it is a good deal at $499 and worth the original $599 IMO.

Comment

I wanted to comment. I replaced a Old Delta 10" saw with the new R4511 and Im very pleased with it. I even had to disassemble it to unload it and move it. The price is great. I paid the 599 minus a 10% discount. I recommend this saw but read all the assembly tips in the forum. I've had none of the other problems people have eluded too. here's to your new saw. Good Luck

Comment

Congrats on the new saw. Get everything adjusted and its a sweet running saw for the money. As a weekend hobbyist it has done well for me so far with no issues.

Hooked up to my new dust collector even using the stock throat plate, I barely see any saw dust after cutting. I like that, much better than my old shop vac setup.

Out of curiousity I emailed Ridgid and asked if they were discontinuing the saw, and they replied and said that it was still a current production model and they did not have any information at this time that it was to be discontinued. So who knows what they will do in the future.

It seems to have sold fairly well despite that lack of marketing and promotion by HD. I remember when I bought mine, they had no display of it and didn't have a clue to what it was besides that it said on the box it was heavy.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input. The more I dug into it and from your responses, I finally realized that the TSxxyy saws have been discontinued so it looks like it will be the R4511. I havn't ordered it yet but will do so shortly and looking forward to trying it out. Thanks again

Comment

I also stumbled on this saw at my local home depot. I am tempted by the price but I was a little turned off by the recall issue. Do you feel comfortable with the safety of this saw? I found a picture on another forum where the threads broke off of the arbor after used with a dado blade. I never thought such a thing could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by richtay View Post
                I also stumbled on this saw at my local home depot. I am tempted by the price but I was a little turned off by the recall issue. Do you feel comfortable with the safety of this saw? I found a picture on another forum where the threads broke off of the arbor after used with a dado blade. I never thought such a thing could happen.
                I have no problem with the recall issue. I would think they looked at the issue very close once it came up.

Comment

The recall affected saws made within a certain date period. Mine was one that was in it, and you can find out the date codes in the thread on recall at the top of the thread list here.

They replaced my saw, because there was no mechanic close by to check the arbor with a torque wrench. A number of others here either had their arbors replaced or their arbor passed the torque wrench test.

As far as I know there were only two or three instances where threads were reported broken by owners. I have heard nothing concerning this after the repairs or replacements were done.

Comment

The recall issue was taken care of and no other major defects have been reported... Do I feel safe using it? As safe as with any other table saw, and MUCH safer than the cheesy light weight benchtop models out there.

Comment

I was ready to pull the trigger on the 3650 or 3660 to find they were discontinued... bought the R4511, just got it put together and I am very impressed... it's a super saw, especially for $450 which was the price I paid and now there is a better coupon 15% vs my 10%. I don't think you'll be sorry.

Comment

The granite top is awesome. Super smooth and I just keep a coat of paste wax on it.

I got mine tuned in and it cuts excellent. I never even installed the factory blade... I bought a Freud Diablo when I bought the saw.

When I bought the saw HD placed it on a trailer for us using a set of forks. When I got home I unbolted the crate and dismantled it piece by piece to get it off the trailer. I was actually able to flip it on it's top and assemble it. My wife and I flipped it right side up and finished installation.

I've never used a high dollar cabinet saw before so it's hard for me to compare but this thing is AWESOME!

Brandon
                        I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

FWIW, the R4511 in our store was marked from $599 down to $499, and AFAIK, there's still a "Friends & Family" discount still in effect, meaning further discounts may apply.

Comment

Just joined this site because I was in the "wilderness" about the recall issue and whether Ridgid was still producing this saw. I have held off for a while, but every review on the R4511 is positive. I have a small bench top saw but wanted to move up. Did a lot of research (including what you fine folks have been posting here) and I think if I can still find one at HD, I'll take the plunge. I've put off my woodworking far too long. Got a new garage, and it's almost wired. Some insulation, sheet rock, and I'll have time to play! Lord knows my Seahawks won't be much of a distraction this year.

Comment

I'd jump quickly RDennis... I had to try 3 Home Depots and finally found one and now that store is sold out except for the floor model... with the friends and family rebate, it's a steal!! I got mine for $450 and you should do better than that. But hurry!! It is my understanding they are not getting any more of the saws.

Comment

Working...
                              X