Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: r4511 being discontinued?

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
    Yeah, I know. I was just trying to be funny.

Comment

If there is any truth to the R4511 being discontinued, it may simply be that a revised version is on the horizon, eg: R4512 (or R4511 rev2).

I spoke to a Steel City rep at a recent show, and they are changing their granite saws so I would expect the Ridgid would follow suit.

Incidentally, the biggest change on the Steel City saw is the granite top itself -- the joints where the wings mate to the main portion of the top will be in the bottom of the miter slots, thus being 'invisible' and making the top appear as one large uniform piece of granite.

Chris

Comment

I was told it was being discontinued because of high shipping cost due to the weight of the saw

Comment

Discontinuing a product due to shipping cost would be idiotic. That cost would have been factored into the retail price before the first unit was ever shipped.

Comment

Well, yes, that is true... but if you throw in the effect of the recalled saw expense and negative publicity due to the arbor problems, people's concern of the granite "chipping"... Sale estimates must have been below estimates. If it cost you twice as much to package and ship a saw then the competing saws at a lower price bracket, how do you make up that margin? Especially when the economy is depressed and people are just not buying as much...

I think the timing of pulling the saw makes no sense... how many R4511's won't be under the Christmas tree this year, because they just won't be available.... but I can't see Santa with too many of them on his sled... poor Rudolph would have a hernia.

I think Ridgid is making several mistakes here... the most glaring is the lack of promotion for the saw and that mistake is shared by Home Depot. (They also need someone that actually put the saw together to write the assembly instructions.) I love my R4511 and hope it proves to be a great investment... I think it will. I don't really understand the complaints about the two part rail and the fence... My rail went together perfectly and you can hardly feel the transition between rails when I slide the fence over the gap... the fence isn't incredible but it's adequate... when I look at what I got for $450, I kinda feel like I stole it. When I read about Home Depot crushing saws, I want to cry.... "Snif"

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
              Well, yes, that is true... but if you throw in the effect of the recalled saw expense and negative publicity due to the arbor problems, people's concern of the granite "chipping"... Sale estimates must have been below estimates. If it cost you twice as much to package and ship a saw then the competing saws at a lower price bracket, how do you make up that margin? Especially when the economy is depressed and people are just not buying as much...

I think the timing of pulling the saw makes no sense... how many R4511's won't be under the Christmas tree this year, because they just won't be available.... but I can't see Santa with too many of them on his sled... poor Rudolph would have a hernia.

I think Ridgid is making several mistakes here... the most glaring is the lack of promotion for the saw and that mistake is shared by Home Depot. (They also need someone that actually put the saw together to write the assembly instructions.) I love my R4511 and hope it proves to be a great investment... I think it will. I don't really understand the complaints about the two part rail and the fence... My rail went together perfectly and you can hardly feel the transition between rails when I slide the fence over the gap... the fence isn't incredible but it's adequate... when I look at what I got for $450, I kinda feel like I stole it. When I read about Home Depot crushing saws, I want to cry.... "Snif"
              Well, first they knew what the going market sales pricing for comparable product was before releasing the saw, so that is not a sound argument. Second, if you outlay cash for unforeseen issues (recall) you don't dump the product, you try and recoup your loss through sales of the item (unless there is no resolution to the issues). Costs WAY less to continued selling an item than roll out something new.

If they are indeed dropping the product, the only prudent business reason would be lack of sales. Not shipping weight or any other nonsensical reasons trotted out that would have all been addressed prior to the product being released. Although it is also possible that the manufacturer of the saws has had to absorb some of the expense of the recall, cracked tops etc. and has decided not to continue their business with Ridgid on the product.
              Last edited by tomapple; 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X