X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r4511 being discontinued?

I am looking to buy this saw. Store prices vary from $599, $499, and no inventory. Was told by one store they were out of inventory and have no plans of getting any more of that model in as it is being discontinued.

Re: r4511 being discontinued?

Interesting, I saw this mentioned on another thread and emailed Rigid, and they said they did not have any infomation at this time to indicate the saw would be discontinued, and that it was still a stocking item.

However, they do have a record of discontinuing their TS line models fairly quickly for some reason. The saws would appear to sell well to all us hobbyists that need a saw at that price point, whether it be the 3650/3660 line or the hybrid line.

I have heard others comment that their HD's still have them in stock, but I would not be suprised in the least to see a new model come along by the first of the year and see them discontinue the popular R4511.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
      However, they do have a record of discontinuing their TS line models fairly quickly for some reason.
      Cato,

I really don't follow this, as the previous 3650/60 and 2400 models were on the market for years. Yes, there was a rather short lived 3660, but it was basically the same model (3650) which was reboxed to pack it in a single box with a 2-piece rail rather than a separate box for the separate long rail.

The 2400 had a minor modification, I believe, and is currently in an upgrade version as the 4510 (I think that's the new model) which has a new blade guard/riving knife assembly and several other updates. There is a portable (but again, I can't verify the model number) which is a new entry from earlier this year (or late last year), as Ridgid hasn't had a light-weight saw in recent years. However, I had heard it was "tempory". One never really knows what to believe I suppose, but it is no longer on the website here. The same model is dressed in red and black and is wearing the Craftsman brand, so perhaps Ridgid/TTI has decided to let Craftsman have it exclusively.

However when it comes to the 4511, there does appear to be some question. A good saw at a great price, but very heavy and perhaps well beyond what Home Depot wishes to carry in thier inventory. It may be, simply NOT the kind of tool that their primary "contractor" or "typical homeowner" customers may be interested in. Typically, Home Depot does not do a good job of material handling and whether it be wood or large tools and appliances, the number of damaged goods appears to be uncommonly large.

The few 4511 saws that I have seen have all been damaged in some way. While I've certainly seen 3650's that were poorly assembled with some components damaged, I've never seen a damaged cast iron top. However, I have so far seen three damaged granite tops which were all chipped in some significant manner. That single factor would make me a bit concerned about what I'm going to find in any box that I purchased. And, that baby is so heavy that I'd have to get a vehicle and help and I probably wouldn't want to face dealing with a return.

Bottom line, it that at this point, it's all conjecture. If it were to come to pass, I don't think Ridgid/TTI could be faulted (beyond not seeing what it has to deal with in Home Depot, anyway). It is a problem with Home Depot and should this very good saw fail to make it's place in the market, I think Home Depot would be the decisive factor.

My honest opinion anyway,

CWS

Comment

Yes, it is all conjecture at this point. Do find it odd though that today none of the Ridgid table saws are shown on the Home Depot web site. But, then again...the HD web site is about the most useless site I have ever come across from a store chain.

Comment

This discussion of the R4511's discontinuation makes me want to wait before upgrading my table saw. I've visited 2 HDs and only seen one R4511 on the foor, in its packaging, which was all torn.

Comment

Completely agree with the other posters. If this saw goes to woodworking heaven this fast it is due to terrible marketing by HD. Large tools are no longer set up in their stores, their staff doesn't know what they sell and what they don't, no continuity between stores, etc. After reading these posts for many weeks, I decided this spring that I wanted this saw. I finally has to take a couple of my woodworking mags to the three stores in my area to show them the reviews on their own product. I then has to give them their SKU # I got from this site to finally get one of them to order this item and take my money. Very poor corporate and instore communications. Just my 2 bucks worth....................

Big G

Comment

I think it's just insane to assume that this saw is being discontinued solely on the word of a HD employee. When was it exactly that the status of a HD employee was upgraded to knowledgeable? I realize that in the past Ridgid/TTI have made changes to the product line without any type of notification but there have also been a few cases where tools were said to be discontinued but in actuality weren't. What sense would it make for them to create a huge hole in their product line by discontinuing the 4511?
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

CW- you are right on the longevity of the 3650, and I was thinking more of what seemed to me a quick passing of the 3660, I just did not state it very well.

HD doesn't seem to do much in marketing/displaying anything beyond miter saws, portable saws, hand tools, and maybe it is the issue of floor space that a bigger TS, jointer, and even planers take up. At least the ones here in Virginia have gone that way with their displays.

Just have to wait and see if there is anything to this or not. Maybe nothing to it at all.

Heck when I read a review and was interested in the R4511 I had to go search it out at the local HD, because there was nothing on their web site to indicate the local ones carried it.

Comment

A few days back, I asked an HD associate who works in the tool coral section if they have feather board. He asked me if it is a saw blade. So, I told him what it is and used for. I hope he remembers, so next time he can tell a customer that HD does not carry such product.

The local Lowe's is about half a mile from my house. If it isn't for Ridgid power tools, I probably just bring all my business to Lowe's. Lowe's still display all of the TS they carry, including a Hitachi's hybrid TS that looks comparable to the R4511. The staff at both places are equally helpful.

The R4511 is represented in one of my local HDs by a 4 x 6" price tag stuck to the shelf next to their Ridgid contractor's saw. I think if they put the R4511 on dispaly, they might get more people to buy it. I usually want to buy something that I have a chance to play with. Don't you?

Comment

I have 2 HD stores close to my house. One has the R4511 on display, but none in stock. The other one has 2 in stock, but none on display....go figure. I hope they don't discontinue the R4511, it is a great saw at a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by vnh View Post
                      A few days back, I asked an HD associate who works in the tool coral section if they have feather board. He asked me if it is a saw blade. So, I told him what it is and used for. I hope he remembers, so next time he can tell a customer that HD does not carry such product.
                      Odd, the Home Depots in my area all carry featherboards.

Comment

The HD's here also carry featherboards, the magnetic RIDGID one. IIRC they sell for about $40.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Our store here in Lawrence, Kansas had 1 in a box with a big 2'x2' sign behind it. Now the the saw and the sign are all gone including my option to buy it. Next HD is 40 min. away,,,

Comment

Since the R4511 top is granite I suppose I'll have to look for feather boards that use suction cups?

Comment

Something like this:
                              http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-10-0.../dp/B000051WS9

Comment

Working...
                              X