Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with a refinishing project

Hey all,

The wife has been on a craigslist rampage and now I have a garage full of furniture that needs refinishing. All of the stuff is Pine, I have stripped and sanded it and now im going to stain. I am nervous that even once stained and urethaned the table tops will still be pretty soft. The tables will be in our living room and will get a lot of use, is there anything besides resin that I can use to harden them up a bit? Thank you.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
    Woody Allen

Re: Need Help with a refinishing project

I see your a welder and fabricator, I bet you can get that torch of your's out and and cut a nice piece of deck plate to cover it so it is protected,

one could consider a glass top, and a few felt circles under the glass, if you want a mar proof surface,

yes the pine is soft,
    but I have a dinning table made of 2x6" glued up and we have used it for 33 years and 4 kids later it is still going good, yes there are a number of scratches and even a few shallow carvings in it (from my son), and I did refinish it once about 20 years ago, and it needs it again, but in my situation it is not distracting (maybe because it is memories), but pine will take a good deal of punishment, and with a little care I would think one would be fine,

As far as additional harding the wood's surface I really do not have any ideas.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
    X