No announcement yet.

Need Help with a refinishing project

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with a refinishing project

Hey all,

The wife has been on a craigslist rampage and now I have a garage full of furniture that needs refinishing. All of the stuff is Pine, I have stripped and sanded it and now im going to stain. I am nervous that even once stained and urethaned the table tops will still be pretty soft. The tables will be in our living room and will get a lot of use, is there anything besides resin that I can use to harden them up a bit? Thank you.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
    Woody Allen

Re: Need Help with a refinishing project

I see your a welder and fabricator, I bet you can get that torch of your's out and and cut a nice piece of deck plate to cover it so it is protected,

one could consider a glass top, and a few felt circles under the glass, if you want a mar proof surface,

yes the pine is soft,
    but I have a dinning table made of 2x6" glued up and we have used it for 33 years and 4 kids later it is still going good, yes there are a number of scratches and even a few shallow carvings in it (from my son), and I did refinish it once about 20 years ago, and it needs it again, but in my situation it is not distracting (maybe because it is memories), but pine will take a good deal of punishment, and with a little care I would think one would be fine,

As far as additional harding the wood's surface I really do not have any ideas.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.