No announcement yet.

Just confirmed R4511 is discontinued!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just confirmed R4511 is discontinued!!!

Roadster, you may very well be correct. I certainly won't challenge it. This topic was discussed on other forums a year or two ago and it seems likely I have a creative memory of the particulars.

That said, riving knives, through whatever regulatory mechanism, are coming. While they are not a guarantee of eliminating kickbacks, everything about their design supports the reduction in the potential.

Comment

I've got the 3650. i love it. I don't understand why Ridgid came out with a granite top, and what people saw in it. It's a nightmare for chipping problems.
      I prefer cast iron and it's ability to work with magnetic add-ons, and as stable as granite. A nick can be filed off or sanded, whereas a chip in granite has to be lived with.
      Good riddance to the 4511....... Bring back good ole stable cast iron.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
        On the point of federal law and riving knives, I thought it was actually Underwriter's Labs who said they will no longer approve splitter designs, and that is tantamount to a ban due to insurance requirements to be UL-certified. Perhaps that's driven by a federal mandate, but I didn't think so.
        See this post about the story on riving knives.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...88&postcount=2
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Well, I ain't no genius, but the itime for the introduction of the saw was terrible... no fault of Ridgid, but the economy was hitting the skids, people have clenched their cheeks tight and just aren't buying like usual. You have issues with the granite tops, damage in shipping and the shipping cost. I think Ridgid just decided to cut and run on the saw. I don't think it would be as appealing of a saw for me if it didn't have the granite. I like the no rust feature, the heavier weight, less vibration... If you take those away... you might as well get a Craftsman... ugh... by the way... I had excellent service at the Bettendorf, IA. Home Depot. The guys name was Jimmy Turley. I hope his boss reads this and gives him a big raise!!

Comment

A nick can be filed off or sanded, whereas a chip in granite has to be lived with.
            You could fill it in sith epoxy. Not pretty but it would remove the depression or nick.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
              by the way... I had excellent service at the Bettendorf, IA. Home Depot. The guys name was Jimmy Turley. I hope his boss reads this and gives him a big raise!!
              Then fill out the survey on the bottom of the receipt, his boss will read that.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. R4511 was my choice to replce my old saw. Makes one wonder why it had such a short life and why it's replacement isn't ready with Christmas coming up. I will probably pay more but I will be seriously considering something other than a Ridgid.

Comment

I don't think it would be as appealing of a saw for me if it didn't have the granite.
                  Well, if a granite top is your primary feature your offerings are limited.

That said, this saw has a lot of other feature to offer that make it a legitimate contender. Riving knife, DC, left tilt arbor, integrated mobile base and price.

I like the granite concept. However, it was relatively low on my list of required features and certainly not a deal maker or breaker.

My guess is if Ridgid does bring a replacement model to market it will likely retain many of the features of the R4511. I would not be surprised if they simply used a cast iron top and kept everything else.

Comment

Who knows what they will release next? (if anything) Perhaps the table saw market has not been profitable enough for them of late.

And of course the R4511 is not of their own design. It is the same saw as Steel City sells..same top, same trunnion, etc. For cost savings over the Steel City version Ridgid made some changes such as dropping the motor horsepower, different switch design etc. Maybe they'll just change tops and roll it out...but, then again perhaps they will take a design offered by a completely different tool factory.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulM View Post
                      Thanks for all the info. R4511 was my choice to replce my old saw. Makes one wonder why it had such a short life and why it's replacement isn't ready with Christmas coming up. I will probably pay more but I will be seriously considering something other than a Ridgid.
                      There are similar granite top alternatives from Steel City, Craftsman, and General International, that all also appear to be made by Steel City's Orion division, so should have similar innerds as the R4511.

Comment

Originally posted by tierraverde@comcast.net View Post
                        ...I prefer cast iron and it's ability to work with magnetic add-ons, and as stable as granite. A nick can be filed off or sanded, whereas a chip in granite has to be lived with.
                        Good riddance to the 4511....... Bring back good ole stable cast iron.
                        Sorry....not true. Granite can be repaired too...fairly easily.

...I like the no rust feature, the heavier weight, less vibration... If you take those away... you might as well get a Craftsman... ugh...
                        Might as well...anything look familiar? Granite topped hybrid with cabinet mounted trunnions, cast blade shroud, riving knife, large handwheels, etc....made by the same company who made the R4511. Buy the saw, not the brand....

Comment

I figured it was discontinued before I got mine, as it was no longer on the HD site. I couldn't pass it up at $350. I got it from a guy who never even put it together.

Comment

I bought mine of Black Friday in St Louis. $499 plus tax (then thanks to this forum I found the $75 rebate).
                            I'm a beginning woodworker and wanted to buy a saw that would last a long time and exceed my limited talents (accomplished both). Assembly was a challenge with having to flip back and forth between manual and parts manual, but I got it up and running in 3.5 hours.
                            I really like my saw and, discontinued or not, think that it will far exceed my expectations, and talents, and last a long long time!

Comment

Really at the tail end of this close out, but I just bought my R4511 for $299 at Home Depot and it was new, on the pallet all wrapped in plastic.

So brand new, 450 pound table saw for $300.... how can you beat that?

Comment

To answer the first question: should I get one or wait?
                                I would get one because we know that this is good saw at a great price.
                                We do not know how good the next one will be we know that for sure it will be much more expensive.
                                If the next one is better, it will be time then to sale this one and to buy the new one.
                                Bert

Comment

Working...
                                X