No announcement yet.

Just confirmed R4511 is discontinued!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just confirmed R4511 is discontinued!!!

I wonder how many tops were broken in shipping.
    My first one was broken and I know of another one which had the same issue.
    Bert

Comment

After talking with a visiting Tech, my understanding is that it isn't "shipping" that's the problem, it within Home Depot. From what he said that he was told, the weight of saw demands that they not be stacked more than a couple high and that from the damage reports it appears that HD is stacking them four or more on top of each other both at the regional warehouses and in the store.... So, they are simply crushing each other and there's a lot of damage.

If that is the case, I can quite imagine that there's a bit of a hassle going on between the manufacturer (TTI) and Home Depot, as to who is going to absorb those losses.

While of course I don't know whether this is true or not, but it sounds like a very reasonable scenario to me. Especially given what I have seen at the two Home Depot stores that I regularly visit. They simply do not have a clue as to handle any kind of product whether it be a stack of plywood, lumber, or refrigerators. It's not at all hard to see any number of products that are scraped, battered, broken, chipped, etc. I've also seen at least two returned R4511's that were returned with chips in the table, crushed legs, damaged Herc-U-Lifts. Even the display model had a bent front rail and chipped table top.

Otherwise, I'd have to ask why Ridgid (TTI) would go through the R&D, tooling up, manufacture and distribution of this saw, only to take it off the market within just a few months. From what I have read here on the forum, everybody likes it and there's been no report of any major problems, other than damage.

Likewise, there's a new R4510 on the floor that arrived two or three months ago. I had just come into the store when I spotted it sitting on the floor next to its carton. The guy who wanted to buy it told me he insisted that it be opened because the box was such a mess. The saw support carriage was twisted like a pretzel on the left side. It looked like it got dropped or heavily impacted by a fork lift truck or something.

The guy was a contractor and told me he was right in the middle of a job when his old saw stopped working and he was in dire need a quick replacement. He was trying to get something taken off the price because of the damage, but the manager wouldn't go less than 5%! Apparently the guy walked, because it's been setting there on the floor for at least the last two months.

CWS

Comment

It would be hard to describe without pics the degree to which my packing had been beat up. One of the MDF skids was literally halved, and it was barely hanging on. When I got it unpacked, I discovered that the bottom of the metal cage had about a 3" bow upward where the whole thing had evidently been dropped. It was the last one, so I went ahead and took it.

So far, it looks OK. But I'm just beginning to finish unpacking and start assembling. If there is an uncorrectable problem, I'm not only looking for my money back-I'll crusade for a comparable saw for $299.00.

Comment

My first R4511 was severly damaged in shipping. It wasn't until after I unpacked it by myself that I could see the arbor/motor assembly had been knocked out of the trunnions. The crating had round steel feet and one lower corner had been bashed so hard the foot was curled up under the crate.

I'm sure that even at the suggested MSRP their margin was probably not super fat. Then they had the arbor issue. I just wonder why they didn't try to beef up the shipping carton.

I think it's pretty clear that their isn't a problem with the quality of this saw. The R4511 had a very rough first year and apparently was not able to survive. I'm glad I have one.
          Last edited by SpiffPeters; 01-21-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
            I just wonder why they didn't try to beef up the shipping carton.
            If RIDGID makes a better carton, Home Depot will make a worse fork lift operator.

Comment

Spiff,

I don't think any manufacturer could build a shipping container that Home Depot wouldn't destroy. I really find it hard to comprehend how one company can hire so many dunderheads, it's pretty pathetic.

You look at a brand new stack of plywood, with the banding still on it, and there will be gouges and scrapes all over it. It's almost like they purposely run the forklift trucks into it for some kind of fun.

A few years ago, I bought 120 panels of DriCor basement flooring. These are 2 x 2 ft tongue and groove ply. The first batch they had palleted for me was worthless and I refused to accept it. They had two of their guys go through over 400 panels to find the 120 I would accept. It's ridiculous!

So with the R4511, here's a perfectly good (maybe even great) product that sells for a great price... and it's totally botched by a merchandizer who can't properly handle it. What a shame!

CWS

Comment

I should mention that I had to drive from Orlando to Daytona to get mine... all of Central Florida HDs are sold out. Anyone thinking about getting a R4511 needs to do it now or never.... at $299 you simply won't find a better saw for the money.

Enjoying this forum with assembly instructions... the manual is pretty poor.

Comment

We should store R5411 and sale them next year for twice the price.
                  That beats investing in gold or in stock!
                  Let's invest in granite!!!!!
                  Bert

Comment

We should store R5411 and sale them next year for twice the price.
                    That beats investing in gold or in stock!
                    Let's invest in black granite!!!!!
                    Bert

Comment

I was thinking last night.....
                      I know how the new riving knife law is coming into play.

I know how the 4511 has a "riving knife", I use quotes because a true riving knife would not come off if you pulled off the blade guard.

It makes me wonder.....is HD dumping these things because they dont technically clear the riving knife requirement?

Comment

The R4511 has a riving knife. Nothing in the definition of a riving knife has anything to do with a blade guard. A riving knife by definition is simply a splitter that does not change in relationship to the blade as the blade is raised or lowered.

"Shark fins" as you are talking about for use without a guarrd are available from other sources.

Comment

Technically, the R4511 has a riving knife. I like the blade guard that comes with this saw.

Comment

Thanks God that Ridgid made the R4511 and that we got one.
                            I could never have afforded a machine of equivalent quality from another manufacturer.
                            Hallelu Yah!
                            Bert

Comment

I hear ya Bert!

I wanted to spend the most money on a TableSaw cause I knew it was the most important saw so I budgeted around $800.

The 4511 was running $700 down here and then a month before I bought mine they dropped it to $500.

Then I walked into HD and talked to the manager... explained to her that I intended to spend $3K+ and she gave me 10% off my whole order. So I paid $450 for the saw then got another $90 off for the F&F rebate.

I'm certainly not complaining.

Brandon
                              I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

Like many other people I bought mine for $499.00 - $75 for shipping rebate then I got the rebate again to bring to $299.00.
                                A sure blessing from Heaven.
                                Bert

Comment

Working...
                                X