Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just confirmed R4511 is discontinued!!!

I just got off the line with Ridgid customer service. After the agent escaluated the question he confirmed.... The R4511 is discontinued. Saw is being replaced but will not be the same model as the 4511. New saw will not have a granite top. No details provided on $, date, specs of the new saw.

Appears this is the reason HD slashed the price $100 and more and more HD have no inventory.

Re: Just confirmed R4511 is discontinued!!!

I was thinking serous about getting the r4511, Should I wait now or go get it?

Comment

I am facing the same decision; wait or buy (if I can find one in stock). I am leaning toward waiting.

Comment

I was at home depot today, there are still some left here in the Phoenix area!!
        I am going to try to snatch one up!! Looks like a good deal to me.

Comment

I have a 4511, I worked it out w/ my local HD and was able to get 2 spare extension wings for each side. So with the saw being discontinued, what if my center top breaks sometime down the road. I have registered for LSA and I have had great luck with this saw, no chips/no cracks. I have never had a ridgid table saw that has been discontinued.

Will Ridgid always have parts for this saw? Craftsman seems to always have parts available, no matter how old. Since this saw was not out there very long, do you think they will always be able to get granite?

Comment

I was told by the store manager of the HD when I bought mine last week that they were being discontinued due to the shipping cost... I bought mine anyway. I think it's a great saw at a now silly-low price. I'd buy it again in a minute... went by Lowes and Sears the other day and was looking what I could get for the $450 I paid and there just wasn't anything close to the R4511....

Comment

Well, I think this is too bad. It certainly appears to be a nice saw and I figured that maybe in another year I'd be in the market to upgrade my BT3100 (but I do love this thing).

As far as the granite being available into the future, I don't think that I would worry about that. While certainly expensive and not as renewable as other materials, I haven't read that we're running short of it anywhere. Still, Ridgid might find in difficult to get exactly that grade or color somewhere out there in the future, but they may have already layed in a supply too.

But, even with a supplier issue, I think you or they (Ridgid) could find a substitute material, afterall, look at the kitchen countertop business... there's a variety of material that look and service very much like granite or marble.

In any case, it's tough to see a product come and go so quickly... but maybe will see a 4511A or 4512 with a cast-iron top!

CWS

Comment

I agree with CW that there should be granite or cast to fit the top if a replacement became necessary.

I too would not be surprised to see the saw come out with a different top. That hybrid design to me is the best of all for a home hobbyist, as it provides many of the features of a more powerful cabinet saw without the heavy dollar commitment. I think the OEMs hit a home run with that, and it just remains to see who will keep offering those type of saws.

There is also the possibility that the big boxes like Lowes and HD will just move away from the bulkier and heavier equipment that takes up to much real estate for display in the stores. This trend we have all seen evolving the past couple of years.

Comment

There is also the possibility that the big boxes like Lowes and HD will just move away from the bulkier and heavier equipment that takes up to much real estate for display in the stores. This trend we have all seen evolving the past couple of years.
                  I too think this has hurt sales. When you want to make a major investment in a shop tool like a TS, BS, etc you want to kick the tires and see it first hand. At least I do. I need to see how its put together and what the operations are to align it, how easy is it to make adjustments etc. I can't do any of that staring at a catalog page or my computer screen.

If the TS-3650 had not been on the floor on display for me to peek and poke at back in 2003 I never would have bought it.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I just bought the 4511 on Wednesday. When I was researching what saw to buy, I looked at just about everything under $1,000. At the end of the day, the 4511 had all the features I needed for about half of the cost of comparable saws. I decided on the granite top because I keep the saw in my unheated garage, so rust would be an issue on cast iron.

Although there are a few things I would like to upgrade (rail and fence faces) it's a great value and performs well.

I'm very interested to see what they come out with next, but I'm happy with the 4511, too.

Just my $.02

Comment

I think the R4511 is a home run. If indeed Ridgid is discontinuing this model I would expect this design to remain with a cast iron top.

Federal law requires any new table saw brought to market must have a riving knife. This hybrid contractor design fulfills this legal requirement.

The three main reasons I bought the R4511 is the riving knife, dust collection and mobile base. Generally I think the granite top is a plus while the fence is the result of having to hit a price point and be able to get it into a single package.

Even at the MSR of $599 this unit would have been first on my list. As a weekend warrior I can not justify the cost of a professional grade cabinet saw. I have to wonder if the MSR of $599 was a loss leader until the unit attained a foot hold in the market as that seems to be an unusually low price when compared to comparable units.

Comment

I just purchased the R4511 this morning. The HD customer service confirmed that this saw is discontinued. She also said that if it went on sale for a lower price in the next 30 days they would refund the difference.

Comment

Glad I got one when I did.................

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            I too think this has hurt sales. When you want to make a major investment in a shop tool like a TS, BS, etc you want to kick the tires and see it first hand. At least I do. I need to see how its put together and what the operations are to align it, how easy is it to make adjustments etc. I can't do any of that staring at a catalog page or my computer screen.

If the TS-3650 had not been on the floor on display for me to peek and poke at back in 2003 I never would have bought it.
                            I agree. I would never buy a major piece of equipment without being able to look at it first hand. There are far too many big tool manufacturers who don't make it available to potential customers and I, for one, am not going to lay out a ton of money online for something that I may find entirely unacceptable once I receive it.

No touch = no buy.

Comment

I seem to make a habit of buying saws just as they are discontinued! I now have a 3660 and 4511, I wonder what's next, I need a SCMS...

Anyway, to the point about real estate in the showrooms. They all sell baths and sanitary ware that are just as large, if not larger, and their prices can be in the range of large tools. Same for the big mowers and grills.

On the point of federal law and riving knives, I thought it was actually Underwriter's Labs who said they will no longer approve splitter designs, and that is tantamount to a ban due to insurance requirements to be UL-certified. Perhaps that's driven by a federal mandate, but I didn't think so.

Comment

Working...
                              X