X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Ridgid jointer?

Howdy folks. Need some guidance regarding jointers.

I've been into woodworking for about 10 years now, but using mostly hand tools. I need to increase my productivity so I am looking to get some machinery to help with stock prep.

I picked up a dewalt 735 planer a while back, but now I think I need to get a jointer.

Found a Ridgid model JP0610 for sale locally. (It's the grey model, made by emerson, NOT the orange one)

The guy is asking $275 for it and it comes with 3 sets of blades, and a mobile base.

I'm thingking it's worth more in the range of $200-$225.

Here's the questions -

What problems should I look for with this model? I know to check the tables for warp, alignment and twist - anything else?

Are there any known problems with models this old? I think that the new orange model came out in 2003, although the seller said that his is only 5 years old - I'm guessing that it was left over since our HD's don't move many of these things.

Finally, what's a fair price? Am I in the ballpark or should I offer higher or lower?

Thans for the advice.

HB

Re: Used Ridgid jointer?

That jointer gets decent reviews. I don't have it but if I were looking for one I'd gladly pay up to $250.

One issue some reported was that it can be a little tipsy, especially when on mobile base.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

This past spring I bought a used Ridgid model JP0610 jointer (orange model) that was used in a cabinet shop, they sold it because they needed a 8" jointer. It had alittle surface rust which cleaned right up and it has performed flawlessly . I think it's worth the money with the mobile base if it's in good condition! You might want to offer lower and work from there.

millman

Comment

one thing to consider is that there is a good chance that gray machine is guaranteed for life, unlike the orange and black ridgid tools. the serial number is the determining factor regarding guarantees when dealing with the gray ridgid tools built in the USA by emerson electric. with a mobil base, $225 to $250 would be fair. i have the jointer you are considering and it has always performed very well.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I thought the warrantee was only valid for the original purchaser?

Or at least I'd have to confirm that it had been registered and get the receipt with the machine.

I'd be al ot less hesitant to buy it if I had the backing of the warrantee.

Anyone know the answer to this one?

Thanks!

Comment

Not sure about the older grey model, but on the newer orange models; I've been told by customer service; the LSA is for the original owner only. Same for the TS3650 per my local authorize Ridgid repair center. Pat

By the way I'm very happy with my Ridgid jointer...

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas. Got it for $200. Looks to be in good shape.

Thanks again.

Comment

in a conversation with ridgid CS, they confirmed that the guaranty that was attached to the older gray ridgid stationary tools is attached to the tool. so regardless of who owns it, the tool is guaranteed for its usefull life. if you got a gray ridgid jointer, you got a made in teh usa by emerson electric tool. congrats and enjoy it. i really enjoy mine.

Comment

Here is an ebay auction from last weekend that I lost on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBDIX:IT

However I won a dust collector from the same seller so I got to see the jointer in person. It was absolutely unused. Not a bit of dust on the blades. The only issue was surface rust. It went for $177.50.

Comment

hb2u...congrats on the jointer purchase. it's a good machine that will provide many years of use. remember, the gray tools don't have to be registered for the LSA. those tools carry a lifetime guaranty that TTI assumed when it replaced emerson electric as the maufacturer of ridgid benchtop and stationary tools. and your jointer was made in teh usa by emerson electric. it shouold provide you with many years of trouble free service.

Comment

I'm trying to catch up after being away for almost two weeks. Saw this particular thread and want to confirm that it is my understanding that the "gray" Ridgid tools have a "Lifetime Warranty" on materials and workmanship and that it is for the particular machine and NOT just to the original owner.

However, being "gray" and built before the 2003 announcement and release of the "orange" tools, is NOT necessarily a guarantee that the tool was made in the U.S.A. by Emerson Electric.

Yes, the Ridgid-brand prior to 2003 was exclusively built under the Emerson Electric "Ridgid" brand. (Emerson both then and now owns the Ridgid brand name.) In 2003, TTI started building the stationary tools and introduced the hand-held line of "orange" Ridgid tools under a licensing agreement with Emerson Electric to use the "Ridgid" brand name for both stationary and portable power tools. But prior to 2003, Emerson had for some years subcontracted many of it's stationary power tools to Taiwan/China-based manufacturers. (How many years that went on I really don't know.) I suspect that TTI was probably at least one of the contractor's if not the exclusive contractor; and, that probably led to Emerson's confidence in the company to proceed with the 2003 licensing of it's "Ridgid" brand name. I'm sure Emerson would not take such steps on risking it's "Ridgid" brand, if it had not collected some historical data on the viability and trustworthyness of such a move.

In any case, I have a gray-Ridgid DP1550 (drill-press) which was in fact NOT built in the USA.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                      X